cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet troubles

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
So this evening our Stock dometic toilet is not holding water. Worked fine this morning. Bowl will not hold water.

Any trouble shooting I can do? It will be 3 weeks before I'm back home to take it to the shop.
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2920BH
10 REPLIES 10

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
drumming102 wrote:
Ok. found the problem.

The inside ball valve has 2 arms that come down. the left side arm just had it's pin come out of the hole. popped it back in and it's good as new.

Do you have to remove the toilet to see and do this? Same problem here, the big ball valve is not holding tight to the black rubber ring.

Edit to add: Never mind, I got it. You have to reach through the opening and set the arm pivot pin back into the hole. Helps to not have big hands.

My wife thinks she did it when she cleaned the toilet after the last trip.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
JamesJudasPriest wrote:
JD and Beastlet wrote:
mobilefleet wrote:
step on the flush valve to open the bowl (or pull it back depending on which style you have) and take a toilet brush and clean real good behind and under the bowl seal, sometimes hard water deposits get in there and make the valve not quite seal all the way. Then take a qtip or popsicle stick and smear vaseline around the perimeter of the seal (with no water connected of course). It works

Being petroleum based, would Vaseline not attach the rubber seal?

x2 try silicon grease?

nope. Vaseline shouldn't be used on latex rubber. The seal isn't made of latex. 2 years no problems

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. found the problem.

The inside ball valve has 2 arms that come down. the left side arm just had it's pin come out of the hole. popped it back in and it's good as new.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Our antique T-ford pot does the same irregularly. Most times a small dose of CLR will clear it up. If the real cleaning methods don't fix it, give that a try. No promises, but it may take a rebuild to make it work right. I just try to avoid that job as long as I can.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
JD and Beastlet wrote:
mobilefleet wrote:
step on the flush valve to open the bowl (or pull it back depending on which style you have) and take a toilet brush and clean real good behind and under the bowl seal, sometimes hard water deposits get in there and make the valve not quite seal all the way. Then take a qtip or popsicle stick and smear vaseline around the perimeter of the seal (with no water connected of course). It works

x2 try silicon grease?

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
mobilefleet wrote:

2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very small flat head screwdriver that I heated up and bent at a 90 degree angle. Cleans out that seal in no time.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wire coat hanger that I bent and smoothed the end that I use to make sure the seal is clean.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
mobilefleet wrote:

Wife cleaned the seal real good with a baby wipe earlier (It was thrown in the trash not the tank) but I will try it with a brush at our next stop and do the Vaseline trick

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer