cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TrimetricSaves the Day Again

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still working on things getting the new to us 1991 Class C working right. Trimetric monitor saves the day again!

Had to replace the busted dash radio with an old radio/CD player from a scrapped vehicle. Wanted to have that powered by the house batteries instead of the starting battery so I can play CDs off grid without having to fire up the DVD player and inverter. Got that all wired up after a struggle.

Turns out the replacement dash radio/CD player uses 1.0 amp while playing on the four speakers (one in each door and two in the RV part-one on each side) --as seen on the Trimetric. So now I know to turn it all off when not listening to it.

The fridge light was burnt out when we got this thing. Got a new lamp, one of those glass fuse looking things, and it draws about 1.6 amps. Found that with the fridge door closed it still did. Oops!

There is a push button fridge lamp switch at the bottom that is supposed to be pushed in by a part on the bottom of the door, but it doesn't reach to push the button. Solution was to jam a blade fuse into the thingy on the bottom of the door making it stick out farther, and now it pushes the button closed.

As seen on the Trimetric. You can't see if the fridge light is on or off with the fridge door closed, but the Trimetric can tell! Ta da!
Saved again by the Trimetric. ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
25 REPLIES 25

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
My ammeter display once revealed to me the existence of a 0.1x amp load with the doors open, and all the dome lights turned off.

It is a time delay relay, and to neuter it I have to turn the headlight dimmer switch all the way clockwise past detente.

One other time after a rainstorm I found myself awakening to a strange 4.2 amp load. My ASD relay was not mounted properly and had filled with water, and was running the fuel pump.

Voltage reveals a bit,

Amperage reveals much much more.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
If youโ€™re ever in doubt about your fridge light, put your smartphone in there recording a brief video with the door shut.

DROP THE MIKE!!!!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
We won't mention how I failed my IQ test for a cigarette lighter plug disassembly.

OK OK. I admit it.

There was an elastic o-ring, black on black that needed to be removed. It took a hook and cursing to get it off.

Post Script

The little LED plate conversions for car interior lights have the correct adapter for your bulb.

Lots more light WAY MORE light
Lots less power like .09 ampere

Being cold the LED will last a long time.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Incandescent Bulb Staying On In Refrigerator?

• Open door quickly
  • Stick finger on exposed bulb
  • If you hear a scream the light has not been shutting off.

That would work if the lamp did not have a plastic cover. We will not mention how I failed the IQ test for removing the cover to get at the bulb.

Eventually after nearly wrecking the whole fridge in frustration, I discovered the cover just slides out towards you.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Incandescent Bulb Staying On In Refrigerator?

• Open door quickly
  • Stick finger on exposed bulb
  • If you hear a scream the light has not been shutting off.

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Years ago my friend bought good car very cheap, becouse seller could not figure out constant battery drain.
Friend park it in garage and on 2nd night entered the garage in dark.
The glove compartment was glowing.
Took 1 cent to glue under the switch to fix.
Good job with finding the fridge light on. Not only it was taking power to light, but secondary took power too cool all that heat.
Now you might want to put LED panel. Glued to the wall above the original light will be real improvement.

LOL! I was chasing a battery draining problem for a week not too long ago until I opened my storage compartment one night and the light was on!
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
All it takes to answer the age old question, "Does the light go out when you close the door" is buying an RV and using some high tech meter or video phone to solve.

Who knew? LOL!

Good catch on both those draws. They would have surely dogged you without mercy ๐Ÿ˜‰

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If youโ€™re ever in doubt about your fridge light, put your smartphone in there recording a brief video with the door shut.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago my friend bought good car very cheap, becouse seller could not figure out constant battery drain.
Friend park it in garage and on 2nd night entered the garage in dark.
The glove compartment was glowing.
Took 1 cent to glue under the switch to fix.
Good job with finding the fridge light on. Not only it was taking power to light, but secondary took power too cool all that heat.
Now you might want to put LED panel. Glued to the wall above the original light will be real improvement.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I wish there was a "like" button here. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree, having the old TM right there ready to report what you can't see is awesome. It's saved my bacon more than once.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please post some pictures.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad