Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ultimate power inverter/charger question

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!
I have a question for all of you more experienced than I in the RV area.
I just picked up a ultimate power 3000 watt pure sine inverter/charger (up12/3000pcul) for just a stupid cheap amount. I was researching 4 stage converter/chargers when I ran across it.
I know it is way more inverter than I need for my 30amp outback 23rs but at the price I could not pass it up with a 4 stage charger built in.
My question is... with it can't I just bypass my stock converter/charger. Wire the new inverter to the shore power line in. Then hard wire the output from the inverter/charger back to the breaker panel?
And of course my rig batteries to the 12v side of the inverter/charger.
Thanks in advance!
Derek
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost
19 REPLIES 19

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I use standard 12/3 household Romex.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://ultimatepower.com/products/inverter-chargers/pcul-series/3000w-pure-sine-inverter-charger-pc...

Yes, mount the new IC close to the battery bank with new short fat wires to the DC input/charger output side to the battery bank. Leave the existing battery to DC converter/DC fuse panel wires in place so they still run the 12v side of your rig.

Unplug or disconnect the 120v to the existing converter and leave it there as a back up. Plus when you sell that rig, you can take your IC to the next rig and the new owner still gets the OEM converter.

There are several ways to set up the IC inverter part to your rig's 120v. Whatever the instructions say, or a variation of that.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Crushedstang50
Explorer
Explorer
Yes my plan was to just disconnect the stock coverter/charger. Then run the 120v wire from the shore power plug up to the inverter/charger in the front compartment so it was close to the battery bank. Then run the output 120v back to the breaker panel. If that would work how big of 120v cable do you think would be safe? To and from the inverter/charger.
2007 Keystone Outback 23rs
2016 Ford F150 Platinum. Max tow, 6.5 bed, 3.5 ecoboost

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It's imperative you turn off your existing converter. If not, your inverter will be running it, trying to charge the batteries while inverting from same.

Be sure to disconnect the 120v side.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most of us just leave the existing converter in place but disconnected.

Why?

1. back up charger
2. wire size to a 3000 watt inverter/charger is going to be huge, compared to the oem converter.
3. location needs to be as close to the battery bank as possible, without being in the same compartment.

I chose to use plugs so I can bypass the inverter/charger if need be.

Why?

Because some GFI outlets "hate" the inverter charger and trip more or less instantly.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.