cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Under hood inverter install? Chev 3500HD

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to install an inverter under the hood of my 2016 3500HD D/A. Unfortunately the engine compartment is so packed I can't find room. I have the 220 amp alternator.

Unfortunately it appears that the only place with enough room would require it to sit on top of the engine compartment fuse box. To mount the inverter elsewhere in the truck would involve long heavy cable to power a 2,000/4,000 watt inverter.

I am not looking to power the RV, just the occasional chain saw or power tool. I have done it but had to bolt the cables on and then unbolt.

As a last resort I have considered using Anderson Powerpole connectors but I would really love to permanently mount it. I would like to avoid storing the inverter elsewhere and installing when needed.

Any ideas? Anyone done something similar?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900
19 REPLIES 19

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 600WATT PSW AIMS Power Inverter install under my rear seat in my truck. I already ran a 4AWG cable fused for 100AMPS back there for my Blue Sea 6-position Fuse panel and have two Ham Radio main units located here as well... Easy access to frame ground point...

I ran one 120VAC output to a panel mount behind the truck bed side panel close to the tail gate. The other 120VAC socket is available to plug into just by raising the rear seat... I actually have a short 120VAC multi head extension cord up under one of the front seats... Each 120VAC socket is rated at 300WATTS

Works out great for me... I very seldom need this much power but I like it being a pure sine wave model. Never have to worry about burning up any of electrical or electronic items...

The most it gets used is using my MR Coffee grinder brewing up my good ole fresh made bean coffee over a camp fire - then I pour this up into a coffee mug...

I picked mine up from AMAZON back in 2009. Got one for the truck and one for the POPUP TRAILER... Both still going strong... They were only $159 back then each...

google image

I switch mine on-off with a BLUE SEA DC switch

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Inverters hate dirt*, and engines get a hundred billion cubic feet of air sucked in and over them.

*Heatsinks love to go nude

Get a shop to heliarc an aluminum carrier and use a TOW TRUCK JUMPER CABLE connector to join the battery with the happy camper inverter.

Guess what? When light-fingered individuals see the connector on the connection end of the cables, they lose their lust to make off with them. Easy to install, not cheap (you need connection and cables for a diesel), and clean. Quicksilver had such a setup but there were few 24 volt rigs that needed a jump. The setup loses little purchase value over the years.

So you have an inverter with say 12' of 2/0 cable wrapped around it. Buy just the connectors and roll your own with ultra heavy duty cast copper lugs permanently bolted onto the inverter.

Under hood is bad juju.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Not under the hood. Behind the seat or maybe under the truck in a "clean dry spot"? Or maybe in a toolbox in the bed of your truck? I would think that you would want your 110 volt service in the back and the 12 volt cables wouldn't be a whole lot longer.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Behind a headlight fixture? there is usually some space between the fixture and the fender/front panel. I wouldn't be afraid to use the Anderson connectors, especially with your use requirements. That may be a better alternative since it's presumed the inverter in hand would be cooler than one mounted in the engine bay.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MrWizard
Behind the seat
Keep it out of the engine compartment
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s