cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Viair Portable Compressor uses

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
After reading many great reviews regarding the Viair line of compressors, I bought a VIAIR 400P-Automatic Function Portable Compressor for inflating tires if needed. This year we will be heading South for the winter so I just want to blow out my water lines in case freezing occurs here before we leave in mid-late November. Can I use the Viair for that purpose or would a regular compressor be a better way to do it? Thanks in advance.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You can get a portable air tank at PepBoys and probably HF if that helps.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up buying this one from Walmart for $59.88 Portable Compressor. Lightweight, not too loud and I can take it with me and use it for other things if necessary. The Viair will be dedicated for it's main purpose. I used it on my camper and it worked great. All done blowing out the lines and ready to roll!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I might as well just go buy a 3 gallon/100psi compressor instead. Walmart has one for $60
Hopefully it won't be noisier than a contractor generator.. if that's a concern.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
if you buy the winterizing kit from viair it comes with everything you need for $35.99.
Esacnj

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Since I would have to buy parts to make the Viair usable in this application, I might as well just go buy a 3 gallon/100psi compressor instead. Walmart has one for $60

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While I prefer a compressor (oilless) with a large tank, the Viair compressors can be used if you use a fitting to attach it to the water system. Let the pressure build to 30 - 40 pounds with the water faucets closed, then open. Repeat moving down the water lines, and do it once or twice. Not as fast or easy as a tank compressor, but it works.

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
Viair has a winterizing kit ($35.99) for just that purpose. I use it with my 400P-RV. It has an adjustable regulator.
Esacnj

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You may need to buy a large tank for that purpose.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably a regular compressor. Don't believe the Viair has the volume needed. You need volume, not pressure.

Good use for the compressor is inflating a blow up doll.....:p
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB