cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waste/Sewage System

firsttimer2020
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to the RV world and haven't messed much with septic systems so please bear with me. I am trying to rig up a septic tank for the camper that my fiance and I will be living in. As of now it's going to be stationary for at least a year or two. I have been trying to research about making your own system and am curious if anyone else has made this set up before. I was wondering if two 55 gal tanks would suffice for two people. Something along these lines with the two tanks plumbed or connected, however you want to say that, together. Then run a leach line from the second tank. We have a 2005 Forest River Cardinal 29rk, if that matters. Also we aren't in city limits, on our own private property.
18 REPLIES 18

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pretty sure he just wants to bootleg a system....not for permanent use.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A DIY septic system is very likely not going to pass muster. Best to find out what is actually required by code before you do anything that will cost money.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You sound smarter than my nephew, a high school drop-out. He was able to build a septic system without any hesitation. They are simple in design. Having enough leach field might be your biggest concern.
Google is your friend here.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/496733033879165021/

Another way to do it is bury a huge tank (250+ gallons) and have it pumped every so often, negating the leach field.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Oklahoma has statewide regulations relating to septic systems. You'll need to get a permit from the state, have some soil tests done, have various inspections and sign-offs, etc. Professional design is likely a practical necessity, if not actually mandatory. I don't know exactly how things run there, but here in Vermont you're generally talking about tens of thousands of dollars. Two 55 gallon drums and a drain field would definitely not be an acceptable here. Fines and penalties for non-compliance are significant, too.

See Title 252 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code Chapter 641, โ€œIndividual and Small Public On-Site Trea... for the details.