cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater question

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Suburban sw6d water heater (gas only) which I am having problems with. The burner will light but the igniter keeps clicking for a bit and the the valve shuts off. It will do this three times and then the reset trips. I just replaced the circuit board but the new one does the same thing. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
cavie wrote:
capacitor wrote:
I spoke too soon. The above solved the igniter issue but the original problem was water dripping from the pressure relief valve. I replaced it and the thermostat also. I put a 130 degree thermostat in and then the igniter issue happened. That is solved but now the relief valve drips and the water temp is 128 but it wont shut down. bad pressure relief valve even tho it is new? Thanks again, i'm stumped.

My old-timer RV tech told me they will do. 2 trailers have done it. only when running.

I am 65. I have been a RV Tech for 41 years. What qualifies as a Old-Timer???? THEY DO NOT DRIP IF THE SYSTEM IS FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY. Doug

^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said!^^^^^^^^^^^^
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
cavie wrote:
capacitor wrote:
I spoke too soon. The above solved the igniter issue but the original problem was water dripping from the pressure relief valve. I replaced it and the thermostat also. I put a 130 degree thermostat in and then the igniter issue happened. That is solved but now the relief valve drips and the water temp is 128 but it wont shut down. bad pressure relief valve even tho it is new? Thanks again, i'm stumped.

My old-timer RV tech told me they will do. 2 trailers have done it. only when running.

I am 65. I have been a RV Tech for 41 years. What qualifies as a Old-Timer???? THEY DO NOT DRIP IF THE SYSTEM IS FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY. Doug

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I have never known a drippy PRV to cause any problem
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I like to put a small, 1 or 2 gallon pressure tank with a bladder, in the pipping system. Then I don't need to worry about loosing the air in the water heater, and when using water from our fresh water tank, the pump does not start and stop as often, just runs longer with each start.

Dusty

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
old biscuit, you were spot on. I followed the instructions and it worked. Never had that happen before. Thank you again for your help. Brian

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
capacitor wrote:

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, got it. Iโ€™ll give this a try in the morning. Basically drain the tank to t and p level to form the air pocket. Thanks

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Loss of air pocket

Top of tank above the hot out dip tube should be an air pocket
Water swells when heated
Air pocket helps control increase in pressure
Water can not be compressed so pressure increases causing T&P to weep

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Bingo. I did like old biscuit said and cleaned the igniter electrodes and it worked! While I was there, I swept out the flue also. Thanks for your quick replies. Problem solved and I never would have guessed it. Thanks again.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Check the flue for flakes of junk blocking it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clean the spark electrode with some emery cloth, clean/tighten wire connector at terminal on transformer, check/adjust spark gap 1/8" - 3/16"

It provides return path for flame proving signal (milliamp signal circuit board senses to keep gas valve open)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31