cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Generator to Buy?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Initially thought 2000 would be my size but who knows, maybe i would want to run the AC on a rare occasion in the summer. usage would be for overnighting on the road as we never dry camp.

I really do not like the increase in weight of the 2400 Yam. however I think it would run my 13,500 AC where as the 2000's would struggle or would not do it.

Considering I did not notice something like a 2400 Honda, it looks like the Yam would be the choice in the 2400 range.

Also the cut in price for say a Generac 2000 or the Subaru 2500 look enticing, any experience on it out there.

thanx
32 REPLIES 32

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Niner, I can see you are on a roll, but i am not gonna get down there with you. keyboard warriorism is not one of my cups of tea. :B

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
greenrvgreen wrote:
Parking lots have "normal resting hours"?

Common Sense

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
2oldman wrote:
NinerBikes wrote:
BTW... if you are overnighting, you'll wear out the welcome for everyone if you start something like this up in a WalMart parking lot or a rest stop after hours.

x2. It's bad manners.

Common folks, between the local hot rodders and the trailer trucks in wally world parking lots it is not like you can hear a mouse pass gas. Two nights ago I wound up with a reefer on both sides of me, in addition to the local hot rodders and one guy that was playing that noise that makes the real loud booming sound. The guy one spot over ran his genny in the Mo Ho all night. But his genny could not hold a candle to the rest of the stuff. :h I just do not see how say a 2000 running on eco mode could hold a candle to the goings on in Wally's parking lot.

Thanks for the advice all, you helped me make a final decision.

Here's a suggestion... why don't you go inside and ask the store manager if it's OK to park your 5th wheel outside all night and run the external generator all night long in the parking lot. Let him have the final say. If it's OK with him, it's OK with us. The parking lot sweepers love us enough already without running over your auxiliary equipment laying around in a parking lot. This ain't the infield of Daytona, ya know.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
2oldman wrote:
NinerBikes wrote:
BTW... if you are overnighting, you'll wear out the welcome for everyone if you start something like this up in a WalMart parking lot or a rest stop after hours.

x2. It's bad manners.

Common folks, between the local hot rodders and the trailer trucks in wally world parking lots it is not like you can hear a mouse pass gas. Two nights ago I wound up with a reefer on both sides of me, in addition to the local hot rodders and one guy that was playing that noise that makes the real loud booming sound. The guy one spot over ran his genny in the Mo Ho all night. But his genny could not hold a candle to the rest of the stuff. :h I just do not see how say a 2000 running on eco mode could hold a candle to the goings on in Wally's parking lot.

Hate to have to call you out, for trying to justify your position on the matter, it just makes you ignorant.

Read up... and don't let the rest of us down with your selfish behavior and get us all banned.

WalMart Etiquette

Don't make us have to beat a dead horse. 😮

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
2oldman wrote:
NinerBikes wrote:

x2. It's bad manners.

Hate to have to call you out, for trying to justify your position on the matter, it just makes you ignorant.

Read up... and don't let the rest of us down with your selfish behavior and get us all banned.

WalMart Etiquette

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Parking lots have "normal resting hours"?

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
The EU2000 reliably starts my 13,500 BTU AC below 1,000 feet as long as everything else in the trailer is turned off. The only bad part is the requirement of an auxiliary tank. My old Yamaha 2400 was a little louder, but it ran all night. On my last trailer, I figured out a way to mount it on the tongue, close in to the body of the trailer. Not real quiet, but it was easy to deal with.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
NinerBikes wrote:

x2. It's bad manners.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
NinerBikes wrote:

x2. It's bad manners.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
BTW... if you are overnighting, you'll wear out the welcome for everyone if you start something like this up in a WalMart parking lot or a rest stop after hours. If you are going to "overnight" make sure you don't disturb others or the normal resting hours... 10 PM to 6AM of others.

Pulling out a generator is "camping" and Businesses frown upon that occurring in their parking lots. Parking lots are not campsites or RV parks.

Not really sure what your definition is of "overnighting" or where you plan to do it, but if you're firing up a gennie, it might be OK at a truck stop, not much anywhere else, cause they run their refers and other stuff all night long, it's flat out noisy, all the time, it's a given. It's where it's not noisy all the time that it's questionable.

Overnighting Etiquette

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if you can find a dealer that will gas up a gen and let you try it to see if it will meet your needs before buying. take your tt to the dealer and try it out. then make up your mind.

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
Victron + EU2000 would seem to be an elegant approach (for the low low TCO of $5,000.00). However, nobody's actually tried this and reported back on it.

Until someone does, "I (too) would be looking at . . ."

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although there are reports of Yammy 2400 watt units running a 13.5 AC, I would spec a minimum of a 3K watt genny for reliable AC usage. Champion has an inverter model in the 3K watt range that may do the job.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you that a Honda Eu2000i will run, but the motor will be running pretty much maxxed out keeping up with the 10 to 12 amps needed to keep your A/C running in really hot weather, 90F or plus. It will not start your A/C by itself.

So your options are to pair a couple of Eu2000I's, or buy a Honda Eu3000i, maybe the Handi, because it weighs less, but it is a bit noisier.

The 2000i will surge to 4000Va, and run 3200Va. The 3000 will surge 3000Va and run 2400Va constant. Your money, your choice.

If you run that A/C on any of these, may as well pass on running the Generator on Eco mode, the A/C start ups really drag any of these motors down in the 13,500 Dometic models.

I realize when you want A/C, you want A/C now, but make a point to start your generator(s) up, and let them warm up for a couple of minutes before plugging in the 30 amp plug to them, that A/C start up really loads the gennie motors up at start up, a bad thing to do on a cold motor.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would be looking at a Victron inverter to parallel with a single H2000.

On second thought... Just get a campground and skip the generator.