cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my generator "clunking"?

baldwinh
Explorer
Explorer
My 8kw Onan Diesel generator has been working fine, when I push the pre-heat switch it goes "tickety-tickety" and after about 15 seconds fires right up.
This week while running it, it started to emit more of a "clunking" sound, very rythmic and regular (and pretty loud). I shut it down, today checked the oil level (clean and full) and when I pushed the Preheat button again to try staring, this time it gave off the "clunking" sound instead of the quiet purr of the normal "tickety-tickety".

Any ideas on what might be the problem? I didn't leave the preheat button pushed long enough to try to start it for fear the clunking was ruining something.

Thanks in advance for any ideas / input
2 REPLIES 2

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Clunking while cranking could easily be the starter drive which has a integral clutch. Pray it's not shearing teeth off the ring gear.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's happening while it's preheating, it's not something in the engine mechanicals that are not yet moving. My guess would be an electric fuel pump. Disclaimer: I don't know anything specific about the particular generator model.