cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why is my Solar Charge Controller Clicking???

Xclosimacon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys, I have a fairly new ASC 16A Controller that has been (and I hope still is) working great for the past 3 months since I installed it new. I plan to install a batt monitor when finances allow but I'm full time and it is expensive out here as we all know..
That being said, I am still using the "cheese whiz" wall mounted "Systems Monitor" to check on my batt. I have a 3 year old 90ah AGM batt that has been great. Taking into account that I am currently on the Oregon coast and the clouds are increasingly moving in these days, I have been getting only 3 or sometimes even only 2 lights lit on the systems mon... about the time I noticed that, the Charge Controller began to click at different rates almost seemingly coinciding with the pilot light brightness. On the ASC Controllers, there is only a red pilot light so that is either fully bright when there is sun, dimmer as it gets dark and then flashing at varied intervals for float... so now it is providing me with periodic soft clicking... I'm wondering it the low batt indication on the wall system is related to a bad controller or what...???
6 REPLIES 6

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest to check all your connections.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Xclosimacon
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah things are clicking but now it has stopped... I'll meter it in the morning and get back... what worries me the most is that there was sun here all day today and I'm still not getting the top green light like always before... we are scheduled for another sunny day tomorrow as well so we'll see if it charges all the way up.. I will say that this is my first time being full time for this season in this area so it may be just me missing my all day every day sunny days...

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why, but at least things are finally clicking for you. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What voltage do you measure? Controller in vs controller out? What is the voltage to be expected?

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
My bluesky sb2512i clicks, but only in the morning when the panels can start putting out more voltage than battery voltage. I rarely hear more than the one click in the evening as its job is ended for the day.

MrWizard
Moved from technology
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s