cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

turbo brake vs PAC brake

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
is the turbo brake the same as a PAC brake or an engine brake or Jake brake???
THX
8 REPLIES 8

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
VGT

I have towed with a Ford F350 with VGT, very effective. Exhaust brake should be similar but I think slightly more effective. Engine brake AKA Jake brake is the most effective IMHO.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Good question ๐Ÿ™‚

I have the Jacobs Engine Exhaust Brake with my Cummins 400. It has a 2-4-6 cylinders selector switch with clutch and throttle switches.

You have an engine compression brake, not an exhaust brake. Yours cracks open the exhaust valves right at cylinder ignition, cuasing no power stroke. The 2-4-6 settings is how many cylinders being used for braking. Compression brakes are far more affective than exhaust brakes.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 2007 Dodge Ram with 5.9L has an Exhaust Brake.....installed in exhaust pipe after the turbo. Large 4" butterfly valve that closes and creates backpressure. Has a 2" butterfly vlave that controls amount of backpressure

2008 Dodge Ram with Cummins 6.7L has a 'turbo brake'......variable vanes in turbo that can change positions and create backpressure

Cummins also has 'Engine Brake' that is controls engine valve train....opens exhaust valves after compression stroke. Known as Jake Brake and makes that familiar rap-rap-rap noise you hear when semi truck uses it

PACBrake makes both Exhaust and Engine Brakes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
This may help: http://www.ehow.com/about_6495304_exhaust-brake-vs_-jake-brake.html

PacBrake builds exhaust and engine brakes: http://pacbrake.com/supplemental-brakes/
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two types of exhaust brakes. One is a butterfly valve after the turbo that closes to create back pressure on the engine... much like the butterfly in the intake of a gas engine, just at the other end. Around 2006-7 variable vane turbos were able to create back pressure... not sure as much as a butterfly valve/Pac brake.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
The PAC brake i had on my '97 Dodge CTD was an exhaust brake. I miss having an exhaust brake enough the '07 Dodge CTD is getting one, too.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Good question ๐Ÿ™‚

I have the Jacobs Engine Exhaust Brake with my Cummins 400. It has a 2-4-6 cylinders selector switch with clutch and throttle switches.