Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows vs light blocking?

evy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm working on my very first DIY camper conversion, using a 2010 extended Ford E250.

Today I was looking at my windows and I was wondering what my options were if I want to completely block the light from popping out at night, is it possible?

If you look at my floor plan, I only have two windows to block, one on each sides of the bed/bench (15"W x 24"H) I'm not sure if I'm going to install the door windows yet. And when you look at my pictures imagine that I will add a 3/8" thick plywood on the inside walls, probably with wall paper.

I could install a piece of plywood with hinges that covers completely the opening blocking all the light but is there any other options?

I will install a thick curtain right behind the front cab (see plan)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
I made pop-in panels from Reflectix for all of the windows, even the cab ones. They keep light in or out, provide insulation, and are easily removable. After nearly 500 hundred uses, they are showing a bit of wear around the edges. I'll either tape the edges soon or make new panels.

This is a good option. Works great. Rolls up compact when not in use.

Get the kind of Reflectix that is bubbles between 2 layers of reflective material. There is a thin version but it is not stiff enough to stay in place.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
evy wrote:
and where do you put all these panels? do they take up a lots of space? are they always in the way? because I have very limited space in my campervan...

Some stay in place all the time (the ones for the cabover windows), some come out and are stored on the bed in the cabover. Another possible place to keep them is behind the cab seats in my Tiger, but B's may not have a partial wall behind each seat.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
You can't block light in one direction. If it comes in, it also goes out.

My foam shades cost about $2 each, as did the blackout curtains. $20 each is a lot of you have a lot of windows ;).

I roll or fold my shades and put them under the bed. The foam ones, all together, make one cylinder about the size of a roll of paper towels. The fabric ones fold to about the size of a pillowcase.

(BTW, in my van, I find that weight is a bigger problem than space. If I fill up all the storage space, then I am over the weight limit for the axles. Don't forget to weight your van before you get on the road!)
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

evy
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Could use black out window roller shades. Walmart and Kmart have them and very inexpensive

I was just looking at those rollers at around 20$ each seems interesting, But I'm not sure they would block the light coming out from each sides, like I said I don't mind the light coming in it's the light going out that I want to block, the light someone outside would see at night looking at my camper.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Could use black out window roller shades. Walmart and Kmart have them and very inexpensive
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

evy
Explorer
Explorer
and where do you put all these panels? do they take up a lots of space? are they always in the way? because I have very limited space in my campervan...

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I made pop-in panels from Reflectix for all of the windows, even the cab ones. They keep light in or out, provide insulation, and are easily removable. After nearly 500 hundred uses, they are showing a bit of wear around the edges. I'll either tape the edges soon or make new panels.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you can block all the light, and no it doesn't have to be permanently :).

I've done a few different things in my van. Closed cell 1cm foam (backpacking paf) cut to fit, so that it squishes into place, blocks the light and provides a lot of insulation. For the non-tinted windows, I spray glued black fabric to the side that faces out.

Other times, I used velcro or magnets to hold up blackout fabric. Walmart blackout curtains are very cheap, and easy to cut.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.