cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me pick a travel trailer toy hauler

ehinrj01
Explorer
Explorer

So I'm on the market for a travel trailer-toy hauler. I'm looking for suggestions on which models to consider.

Use: I would like to be able to tow one quad (2012 Yamaha Grizzly 700). The quad weighs 648lb. It is 6.78ft long and 46.5in wide. The ability to tow an additional dirt bike or quad would be nice but probably unrealistic.

I would be using it in two different ways. I have 10 acres in the forest in Michigan. No utilities available on my land (although I do have an outhouse and plan to have a well installed at some point in the near future). The drive to get there from where I live is 4.5 hours long.

I would also be using it for my job because I travel for work. I'm a travel Respiratory Therapist (same as a travel nurse type of gig). Every so many months I drive to a new town and work at various hospitals. I've ben renting apartments up to this point but I have met several travelers at work who use travel trailers. This is what I also plan to do with the travel trailer/toy hauler to save $ on rent.

I do not want to push the limits of my towing capacity but I want the largest that my vehicle can comfortably tow.

Tow vehicle: 2019 Silverado 1500 LT Z71, double cab, 5.3L (L84 w/DFM), 8 speed auto trans, 4wd, Rear Axle 3.23, basic Z82 trailering package (not max tow package).GVWR is 7000lb, GCWR 15,000, GAWR RR is 3800, GAWR FR is 3800, max payload is 1826, max tongue wt is 970, curb weight is 5174, conventional trailer weight rating is 9700 (80% rule of thumb would be 7760).

Just as an example of what i've been considering: Cherokee Grey Wolf 18RR, 22RR, Wildwood FSX 210RT, Jayco Jay Flight 125TH, 265TH. I'm not limited to these models and what I want to hear are your suggestions on models from any manufacturer. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

DAB1
Explorer
Explorer

I have zero rv experience but am looking for something for similar reasons as you.  Rvinsider rates the work and play 2 stars for overall quality and factory warranty with a overall 3.3 star with an overall rating of 3.3 stars based on 10 reviews

I found the forest River Grey Wolf a 2.7 on overall quality and 2.6 on factory warranty. Based on 101 reviews

Both have 3.6 on livability 

The W&P has a .3 higher rating on Floorplan and .1 on towing.  

https://www.rvinsider.com/Forest-River-Cherokee-Grey-Wolf-RV-Reviews?make=Forest%20River&model=Chero...

https://www.rvinsider.com/Forest-River-Work-and-Play-RV-Reviews?make=Forest%20River&model=Work%20and...

Hopefully this helps.  Keep me updated if you find a better suite and I'll do the same.

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to Toy-Haulers, Work and Play by Forest River is where it's at. From their build structure to their layouts, you have it all! This unit comes with a 30-gallon fuel station, a spray port to clean off your toys and even has the master queen bed on a slide. Most toy haulers will not be

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

We had a 22RR but no toys. As a result, we were able to reconfigure the rear for living comfort (ie: dual recliner). If we had to maintain the bench seats in the back, it would have been uncomfortable for longer term living.

With toys, it will be a pain traveling as the toys will have to be off loaded for 1 night nights stops or you lose access to 1/2 the living space.

Honestly, if you are insistent on a toy hauler, I would go big (but then your truck is likely out classed) or go with a standard travel trailer and put the quad in the truck bed (also, likely an issue with overloading). If you are typical, 95% of your use will be living in the RV and 5% will be using the quad...so a very small part of the use is driving a non-optimal RV for 95% of the time.

You could do 2 quads or a quad and a dirt bike in the 22RR if left in original configuration...but with the issues mentioned above.

Our hitch weight was around 900lb per the cat scale when loaded. We pulled with an F250 (2700lb payload if I remember correctly).

We spend about 6-8 months each year in the RV and we made the call to switch to a 5er (non-toy hauler) this past fall for more space and better living configuration.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV