cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12v Power Access in 192RBS

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS has an OEM supplied roof vent over our bed. Nice for static ventilation, but we would like to add a 12v powered fan in this cavity for dynamic air flow. Setting aside the discussion of various fan options that are out there, I'm interested in knowing the best solution to supplying 12v power to this area.

My initial examination might lead toward tapping in to the 12v power to the TV booster switch found in the entertainment system cabinet area. But I do not know if the cavity behind the booster switch leads to an opening in the ceiling above - from where I could perhaps fish a line over from the ceiling vent.

Like to do this before we head out for another trip next weekend . . .

I'd appreciate your informed thoughts!

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
17 REPLIES 17

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
If Coachmen didn't already provide +/- 12 vdc at the vent location (I can't say because my 2014 version 192RBS doesn't have a vent as does yours) then just pull it from the adjacent ceiling light.

Correct, no power is provided at the vent by Coachmen. My thoughts as well, about the power source being from a nearby ceiling light fixture. But in doing so, I wondered if we would need to toggle the main light switch for all the main ceiling lights in order to provide power to the prospective fan. True, or not?

Seems like I read somewhere in another forum last year that someone had tapped that TV booster switch power source for a similar purpose as mine. Just can't find the reference anywhere . . .
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
If Coachmen didn't already provide +/- 12 vdc at the vent location (I can't say because my 2014 version 192RBS doesn't have a vent as does yours) then just pull it from the adjacent ceiling light.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful taping into a switch. Quite likely only the positive side there and no ground.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter