cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

24v to 12v

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
hey all. anybody know of an easy way to get a 24v battery to feed a 12v system? seems like there are converters online but I don't see any locally.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
23 REPLIES 23

Monster9903
Explorer
Explorer
He already said it's 12 volt. But for sake of discussion most 24 volt and 36 volt units are either running multiple 12 volt batteries in series or running s special order battery in 24 or 36 volts. If it was a 24 volt battery I wouldn't use it. You can by a DC to dc converter or build your own step down unit but why spend the $$ on these inefficient ideas it's just not worth it
Charlie & Robin
Daughter Sam and Son Nate
2000 Chevy Silverado
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X18D

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a 24v charger, if it is 24v. I have had a lot of them, in my day, and recommend ebay as a source.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Nvr2loud wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
I was given a deep cycle to try out on the camper. Do not know the size but I know its from a boat (many trolling motors are 24v) so im not sure. ive never heard of a dcdc converter so im not sure what the deal is.

Every trolling motor that I have ever owned has run on a 12 VDC battery, preferably deep cycle.

Connect a meter reading DC voltage on the battery terminals and that will determine the voltage.

Go look at Bass Pro's site or other fishing supply sites and you will find more 24v and 36v motors for bow mount motors than 12s. Lots of guys are switching to 24v's because they are more efficient than 12v motors. My neighbor can troll around the lake all day on two 12vs in series to his 24v motor.

Despite the availability of various voltage trolling motors, my advice still holds true... connect a meter across the terminals to check the voltage of the battery.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many larger boats will have 24 volt systems ! I have ran boats that ran two twelve volts to get this or even three eight volt batteries . Now you can buy large single cell 2 volt batteries and stack em any way you want for commercial and ferry boats .

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
I smell an electrical fire in the future. Be careful.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
all is well.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
As someone else stated, you most likely have a 12V battery. Yes there are 24 and 36V trolling motors but they use 2 or 3 12V batters to power them.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
I've never heard of a 24V marine battery, but I guess it's possible. The guys that I know that run 24V trolling motors have two 12v batteries in series.

This is correct. While 24V batteries do exist in general, they DO NOT exist for the typical marine and automotive uses. I have seen lengthy discussions over the years about how to charge 24V batteries, where to get them, converters, etc., only to find out that everyone in the conversation doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
its all good. shes a 12v holding charge well with proper voltage. looks like I win. does appear that my trailer is not charging it when plugged in though. ill start another thread for that. thanks guys

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
as 2oldman state, count the fill holes on the top of the battery and multiply by 2.

3 caps = 6 volts
6 caps = 12 volts
12 caps = 24 volts
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
We are running a 36 volt trolling motor at work. The larger the thrust, the more power they consume. In order keep the motors a reasonable size, they run higher voltage and lower current - hence the 36 volt in my case. I have a 3 battery 20 amp charger (total of 20 amps, divided as needed across the batteries) with all isolated outputs. It can charge 3 batteries in series, parallel, or isolated.
There are boxes which will rebalance 24 volt packs, so all you do is center tap them, and go. You can charge and/or discharge the 12 volt, and the box will maintain the 24 volt pack balanced, and at twice the voltage of the 12 volt battery. The battery you are using takes most of the load, the second one is either charged, or discharged to back up the first one at whatever the current limit of the box is, usually 10-20 amps on the 12 volt side.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
There is also the question of how to charge the battery? You may need two DC-to-DC converters. A 12 to 24 volt to charge and a 24 to 12 volt to power your coach.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Nvr2loud wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
I was given a deep cycle to try out on the camper. Do not know the size but I know its from a boat (many trolling motors are 24v) so im not sure. ive never heard of a dcdc converter so im not sure what the deal is.

Every trolling motor that I have ever owned has run on a 12 VDC battery, preferably deep cycle.

Connect a meter reading DC voltage on the battery terminals and that will determine the voltage.

Go look at Bass Pro's site or other fishing supply sites and you will find more 24v and 36v motors for bow mount motors than 12s. Lots of guys are switching to 24v's because they are more efficient than 12v motors. My neighbor can troll around the lake all day on two 12vs in series to his 24v motor.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran