cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel mpg's

marininn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at converting a 5th wheel horse trailer to meet my needs.
For diesels, cummins particularly, I am interested to hear mpg numbers from anyone towing these.
I am curious the difference between those horse trailers with flat fronts as opposed to those with curved or pointed fronts, and also ones that sit closer to the bumper than others; and compared to bumper pull trailers of similar size.
(with regular bumper pull camper trailers, which sit farther back and are usually squared and wide, they effectively take all the wind - not tucked closely behind the TV)
A horse trailer 5th wheeler is more narrow and sits much closer to the TV than a camper or camper 5th wheeler, so should gain some efficiency in aerodynamics.
Not interested in knee-jerk opinions, just real info from those that have tried.
Also, the horse trailer is not a huge monstrosity like the camper 5th wheelers. Mpg is very important as I tow a lot, not just a few miles once per year. I have a bumper pull cargo trailer with pointed nose that is only 5 feet wide and the mpg's on it are so much better than my 7 foot wide camper (which is even lower in height).
Also, how does weight affect it? I know air drag is king, but looking at 1,500 lb aluminum trailer empty vs 5-6,000lb steel trailer.
18 REPLIES 18

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Just did a trip from Appleton,WI to Grapevine,TX

Tow Vehicle 2004 Ford F-350 4X4 CC SB 6.0 diesel 125,000 miles.

Towing 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS 5th wheel.

Round trip miles 2,376

Total fuel 218.3 gallons

MPG===10.884

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
14000 lb 5th wheel with 6.7 stock 11-12 depending on terrain.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I had both a goose neck horse trailer and a 5th wheel camper that I towed behind the same truck, 6mpg with either.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
For over 10 years I have been reading posts on this and other RV forums. Most RV'ers with 5th wheels report between 6-12 MPG while towing and fully loaded for camping.

I have also read many posts from RV'ers who have tried to improve their towing MPG. Aerodynamic add ons, more efficient fuel/air delivery systems, more efficient exhaust systems, different gearing, different tires or air pressure in the tires... The results from these efforts result in at most a 1 to 3 MPG improvement. I've read about folks spending $2500 to $5000 in an attempt to improve MPG only to get 1 to 3 MPG more.

In my opinion... RV'ing is an expense that is worth every penny. There are hidden savings... better mindset, health, exercise and quality family time.

Don't worry about the cost....enjoy the ride.

Buy a factory made 5th wheel travel trailer and start the adventure. Don't waste time and money in trying to put something together unless it's your dream to build something out of a horse trailer.

Just my opinion and I wish you luck in this new adventure.

By the way I have a Chevy 4500 with a Duarmax Diesel. I pull a 7.5 foot wide X 12.5 foot tall X 38 foot long 5th wheel that weighs 15,000lbs. I average 10 MPG while towing.