cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ac question

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 50 amp rv is on a 50 to 15 amp adapter, to a heavy duty extension cord that is plugged into a 20 amp outlet.
Only thing running on electric in rv is the tv.

Is it ok to run just the ac Fan?? Again, just the fan is running not cooling.

Thanks!!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
20 REPLIES 20

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good comments. For a 50A rig I recommend a 10 ga extension which of course costs more. Also most home plugs are indeed 15A and one of many on a circuit meaning other house loads. Best to have a single dedicated 20A plug on a dedicated 20A CB.

While the above link to a AC clampon ammeter is very helpful I recommend to spend some more and get a clampon that measures both AC and DC current.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No problem running the fan and the converter. If you have a way to monitor voltage see if the Air conditioner will run. Stop the trial run if the voltage goes below 107
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The length of the extension cord will make a difference, but a 12 awg HD cord should work. If only a tv in use, and as mentioned, converter not working hard, it should not be a problem to run fan only, on the AC.

You can buy a voltage indicator that simply plugs into wall receptacle to monitor available volts, or use a meter to test if you have one.

Keep in mind, if plugged into an outlet in garage, or house, is there more electric draw on same circuit, as well as the RV?

Jerry

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
As new as it is, I would bet you could run one A/C. The new ones use a lot less power and come with "soft starts" from the factory. This is a good item to have in your toolbox to track electric draw on lots of stuff, not just RV related. Check while everything is running and add up the values and compare with your power supply's capacity (pick the weakest link, in your case the 15 Amp adapter). You do need to have them clamped around a single conductor, though, not the whole cord. Building a real short extension cord with individual wires makes that easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Multimeter-MSR-C600-Auto-Ranging-Multimeters/dp/B00NWGZ4XC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=amp+probe&qid=1592704516&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUlU1TEVaVjBWQVYxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODk5MzI4MzRKNTNDUDc0RDQwNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTI5NDUzV0lYMERDT0NEVUJKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a new 2020 trailer, batteries are brand new
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You must consider the converter is running. How much would depend on condition of the battery,
You may even be able to run AC!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker