cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adjusting tire pressure for load

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
So my tires on my dually are wearing heavily in the center indicating over inflation. I typically run 80 psi loaded (load range e) and 65 empty. Judging by the wear, I should be running significantly less

Beware: math ahead!!!

I haven't weighed mine, but found someone with a nearly idenical setup and got their weight.

Empty is 4500 front, 3000 rear
My camper weighs between 3000 and 3500 wet, and his weight bias was nearly 100% of the camper weight on the rear axle.

My tires are range e and rated at 2850 in dual or 3050 in single at 80 psi

Would it be proper to deflate my tires in a linear fashion to match the weight on them?

Example. 4500 lbs divided by 2 is 2250. The tire is rated at 3050 at 80' or 38 pounds per psi. By this theory the front tires should be correctly inflated a t 60 psi

On the rear they are at 35 lbs per psi ( 2850/80). 6500 lbs across 4 tires is 1625 lbs per tire. Divided by 35 lbs/psi is 46.4 psi.

This would explain my overinflated wear pattern, but it seems crazy to run my tires at 45 psi in the rear while loaded. One one hand it makes sense as I am only running st 1/2 the tire capacity, but at the same time I'm afraid of the loss of tire stability (specifically lateral stability) by running at almost 1/2 of pressure

Any insight? Thoughts? Input?

Thanks,
Mike
1994 S&S 9.5' SC-B, StableLift, 2x6V golf cart batteries, LED interior lights
2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC DRW CTD 48RE to G56 6-speed conversion, Quadzilla 65HP Chip
15 REPLIES 15

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my own experience I have never been able to rely 100% on the tire manufacturers' load and tire pressure charts. They are designed to insure the tire stays on the rim and not to insure maximum tread life. The tread contact area with the road does not change in a linear manner with tire pressure as a lot of the change is in the action of the sidewall and not the tread section of the tire. When I have used the charts to determine the air pressure the end result has been underinflatted tires and tread wear on the edges.

With 4 x 2850 at 80 PSI the tires are set to carry 11,400 or nearly doubly the actual load at the rear with the camper in the bed. I would forget about a linear adjustment and go down to 70 PSI at the rear after rotating the tires and then go another 5k miles to see what the tread wear looks like. You may get enough wear to see what is happening after only 3K miles or you may not. Most likely the rear tire pressure should be in the 65-70 PSI range but only time will tell.

Some people suggest using chalk on the tread or some other trick but I have never seen this work with a truck tire. Monitoring the tread wear as you are doing is the best way even if it takes more time and you lose some tread life in the process.