Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice for semi-newbie on used TTs

ItsJustUs
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I camped a lot growing up, and my husband and I camped (tent and pop-up) when we were younger with fewer children. Our children are older now (teens, pre-teen) and we want to start camping again.

In your opinion, what is the smallest TT we could get by with for our family of 5? I'm normally a less-is-more kind of person, and the 30-ft TTs I see look huge to me. I think I'd rather have something shorter to fit into state and national park sites. I've looked at many trailers and I'm more drawn to the shorter ones with slides, but I know even slides can be a problem at state parks, so I'm not sure if that's best, either.

Ideally, I'd like shorter, with at least two bunks so we won't have to keep setting up and tearing down for all three kids (they can do it themselves, so I'm not worried about the work required as much as the stress/wear and tear on the couch or table).

We have a Ford Expedition that's rated at 8500 lbs (I think... have to double-check with my husband, but it's somewhere around that), but we need to trade in on another vehicle soon, so we can get whatever we need. Right now, I just need some guidance so I can focus on what's really workable for our family.

Also, we're planning to buy used instead of new. I know quality sometimes changes from year to year among the manufacturers, so if you could share your opinions on manufacturers who produce consistently good TTs, I'd appreciate it. (Should I avoid certain TTs manufactured by XYZ after 2008, for example.)

I know this is a lot to ask, but I'd appreciate any wisdom you have time to share.
19 REPLIES 19

ItsJustUs
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, I forgot to add, we'd prefer hard-side this time - we've been in tents and pop-ups before and are thinking TT this time. ๐Ÿ™‚

ItsJustUs
Explorer
Explorer
Westend, I understand about the weight, and I definitely don't want to pull 8500 lbs. I just posted what we currently have and what it's rated at (I think that's what it's rated at) because that's usually the first thing people ask when newbies ask for advice about what to get. Since we're going to trade in our high-mileage Expedition soon, it's really not an issue. We can get whatever we need to tow whatever we want... if that makes sense? It's late and I need more coffee. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ItsJustUs
Explorer
Explorer
Spike, thank you so much for your comments. It's nice I'm not the only one who feels that way. My husband is more of a bigger is better kind of guy, so we'll have to meet somewhere in the middle if I don't win on this one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest you buy a used pop-up, take it camping and see if it's all a good deal. The pop-up will easily tow and give you some ideas about what would be better or must-haves in a camping rig. The entry price should be lower and 1.It will get you camping 2. Will be less of a trade in/sale burden should you decide to upgrade, sell, or decide something else is in the cards.

If hard sides are necessary, I would suggest to go small.

BTW, look over in the towing section of the Forum or search "weights" and do some reading on towability. I'm thinking you and hubby would be pretty miserable pulling 8500 lbs. with that vehicle.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
Physical size of trailer (for family of 5) depends on each unique family. If wondering, I had a 19ft TT (no slides) for family of 5 + our dog. This size worked for us. re: Easy to tow, easy to wax and with no slide, no critter entry as well. For my family, we use a TT as a "box". And being a box, we use it to sleep in and that's it. 90% of the time, we're exploring the lakes/towns or doing things in the park. We even eat outside. And if its raining, we connect and drive home. Rarely do we spend non-sleep time in "a box".

For other folks, they spend majority of their non-sleep time inside their TT. Thus, even a 29ft with 2 x slides isn't large enough (for them).

Hope this helps in your "sizing ??" question...