cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AF996 Kitchen Slide wire - possible issue fixed

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have an Arctic Fox 996, I found a potential hair pulling issue with the kitchen slide and a wire bundle, but came up with a fix that I wanted to share. I'd noticed a 3 wire bundle (Gray, Black, Red) that fell out of the side of the kitchen slide just behind the kitchen sink.
Further investigation revealed that the wire bundle was made too long and the excess length allowed the wire bundle to fall out although it was through loop clamps that secured the wires to the wall. I also noticed that with some bad luck, the wires are long enough to get fouled in the kitchen slide drive teeth which would ruin one's day for sure.
After finding that access to the upper wall to add an additional loop clamp or two was not going to happen without removing the slide room, I came up with a way to secure the excess wire length. I found that by pulling the excess slack forward (toward the front of the camper) there is an existing wire bundle just aft of the fresh water fill pipe that makes for a good place to secure those three wires. I used a couple of nylon zip ties to secure the wires to that bundle which now keeps the wires well away from the drive teeth and also keeps them taut enough to prevent them from falling out from behind the trim. I've just sent this info off to Northwood for their feedback, but wanted to pass this along to any AF996 owners so they can see if their wiring may have the same possible issue. Ours is a Jan. 2013 build, so it's one of the earliest ones built and Northwood may have already corrected this. Hope so, but a quick check behind your slide will tell the story on your unit. Hopefully this info might save someone some grief.

This picture shows the drive teeth circled with the wire bundle to the right. (already secured)

This picture shows the 3 wire bundle now secured with zip ties circled to the existing larger wire bundle.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase
4 REPLIES 4

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
dmaxpuller wrote:
I really cant tell where the first picture was taken. I reached behind the sink and did not feel any wires.

DMax,
The first picture was taken directly behind the kitchen sink on the right hand side of the slide. The counter top you see in the picture is the fixed (non moving) portion that the slide room counter top slides over the top of. You will not be able to see the wires from under the sink as they are behind the slide wall. The only way to see them is to stick your head underneath and behind the slide out pantry and you should see them next to the slide room frame.

You maybe right, they may have changed the wiring routing, but I'm glad I caught mine before they got chewed up in the slide room drive teeth.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

dmaxpuller
Explorer
Explorer
I really cant tell where the first picture was taken. I reached behind the sink and did not feel any wires. I also did not see any grey/black/red wire bundle. I took the trash can out and looked through there also,and couldn't find anything.

The picture where you have them zip tied is easy to find, and it all seems to be a clean install.

The one thing I did notice, is the wires running to the electric water heater switch and dimmer light switch are not in a loom. They just run past some wood brace. They dont move, but I may still get in there and slide a piece of loom there so there is no rubbing.

Maybe they fixed the issue in the April build.
Travel Blog
https://af996travels.wordpress.com/
05 DMAX 2500HD with lots of stuff
2013 AF 996
73 FJ40 Landcruiser
72 Honda Trail 70
05 Kawasaki 700 quad

flyguidemike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up, I have a 2016 model 996, I will have to go out and take a look.
2016 Arctic fox 996
2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW
19.5 Rickson's
Toyo M608 225/70/19.5
1996 Champion 21' Bass boat
2014 Adipose Drift Boat

dmaxpuller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Ours was made in April of 2013. Will take a look and see whats up.
Travel Blog
https://af996travels.wordpress.com/
05 DMAX 2500HD with lots of stuff
2013 AF 996
73 FJ40 Landcruiser
72 Honda Trail 70
05 Kawasaki 700 quad