cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Predator Generator reviews?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Now when my build-in Generac died and even new $350 board is not fixing it, I am researching more reasonable option.
$500 inverter generator have excelent reviews and some say it runs smaller AC just fine, but forum search shows 0 topicks.
Hard to believe nobody from the forum tried it?
79 REPLIES 79

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with the china made stuff.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Better than Jiiina!

Watch your tongue. I have a Jinma 8" PTO chipper that I abuse regularly. Rated for 35 pto, I run it on a 100 pto tractor all the time. Never missed a lick. I've chipped many, many trees withit.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
WHOOPEEEE

More junk from China!!

Honda is from Japan. 😉

Better than Jiiina!:B

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
WHOOPEEEE

More junk from China!!

Honda is from Japan. 😉

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Old Islander wrote:
During this thread, there have been some comments about the noise from compact 'enclosed in plastic' inverter/generators vs open frame machines. The specs list the decibels from the above Preditor at 61 dB versus my open frame genny rated at 63 dB. Even though they're just 2 dB's apart, is the fact that mine is open frame going to make it significantly noisier that the one built into a plastic box?

DB is NOT linear and the 2 dB is far apart.
But main advantage of inverter generator is that they don't run at full speed, unless you really load them.
My Honda 3000 EU when loaded with AC and microwave becomes pretty noisy, but microvawe runs for short time, shuts off and Honda lowers rpm becoming quiet again.
Just like the cars. Try to talk next to your truck idling at 3000 rpm

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I think 6db more is double the sound level.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old Islander wrote:
During this thread, there have been some comments about the noise from compact 'enclosed in plastic' inverter/generators vs open frame machines. The specs list the decibels from the above Preditor at 61 dB versus my open frame genny rated at 63 dB. Even though they're just 2 dB's apart, is the fact that mine is open frame going to make it significantly noisier that the one built into a plastic box?

Actually, Decibel measurements are linear. That is, a slight increase in noise level equals a pronounced increase in heard noise.

Then there is how far the measurement is taken from the source and the noise output of a certain unit.

From what I've read, there is no 'set in stone' measurement criteria.

Myself, for years I owned and used a Yamaha 2800 I which is an open frame inverter genny and I thought it was pretty quiet, especially in economy mode. I'd still have it but at 10 years old, it was time to sell it and get another, which I did. I didn't need the 2800 watts so I got the 2000 Champion which happens to be totally enclosed in a plastic case. The plastic case may not provide a lot of noise dampening but it does break up the sound waves that an open frame unit cannot do.

Yamaha's hold their value. I sold mine used and 10 years old for just a littler less than I paid for it new and bought the Champ and put some greenbacks in my pocket.

At my age (67), if the Champ goes 10 years, I won't be needing another one.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
WHOOPEEEE

More junk from China!!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
so front platform with Honda here it comes.
:C
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I was ready to buy the Predator to avoid carrying big Honda on front platform, especially that 1 review says it does run 12k AC, but finally grab tape measure to check the door at my generator compartment.
The door has 11" opening, the generator is 12.6" wide.
Bummer.
So front platform with Honda here it comes.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Most campgrounds will ask you to either turn it off or leave if you have an open frame noise maker running.
This is a small Federal cg. No host, no enforcement. In the middle of farm country. I felt out of place with 2 Hondas and was seriously concerned they'd be stolen.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
You see no mention of warranty (of course). I'll take a Champion over either, any day. I'm partial, I own one.

I already own Generac LPG (non-working), Honda 3000EU and the small 2-cycle, but would that 2000 power my AC, that would beat carrying Honda on front platform.
I already call HFT and I can return the generator within 90 days, but with 20% of restocking fee.
So even if it won't work for my AC, I can use it whole summer and return at the end loosing 85 bucks.
Sure I am tempted to try.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:

On a personal note, this camper and I are the only ones with inverter gens. Everyone else, and that means about 8, have extra-loud open frame ones. A guy and his buddy are running, side by side, a Briggs and Stratton, and a big Champion. It sounds like they're doing a tree-trimming operation...it's loud. But it's hot, and everyone needs air, so as long as it's quiet by 10pm I'll survive. I'm just lucky I'm not parked near that din.

I'm kind of surprised that the campground allows that. Most campgrounds will ask you to either turn it off or leave if you have an open frame noise maker running.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
You see no mention of warranty (of course). I'll take a Champion over either, any day. I'm partial, I own one.
2015 Backpack SS1500