cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back from first long trip and need a couple things

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just towed. ~2200 miles and had a blast. Need a few things, hope you can help me out.

I finally fully understand my coupler lock. I need a pin, or better yet a little lock to secure it. Any tips?

Couple of the places we camped had sewer dumps which were elevated out of the ground so that gravity wasn’t effective at draining the stinky slinky. Time to buy one of those whatchimacalits that guides and cradles/supports the sewer line to the dump. What is it called? Any things to look for?

The safety chains from my trailer cross and then hook onto my TV. There is a final wire from the trailer which is also supposed to provide a measure of last resort if the chains break. What do you attach that to, and what do you attach it with?

I was thinking about long term storage of water in the frest water tanks. Or even if mostly empty, say I drain it when I get home, but naturally there’s still some moisture in there. How do you prevent mold, or worse, listeria, from growing in there?

We took 5 of us for 8 days to Yellowstone and the Tetons and had a great time.
16 REPLIES 16

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
do yourself a favor, trash the stinky slinky, get either a sewer solution or macerator pump instead. much cleaner/easier/etc.
fill the water tank with chlorinated water to begin with and no problem. add a small amount of chlorine if needed.
bumpy

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Master lock makes a pin type lock that I picked up at Walmart. Do not ever tow without something in that little hole to secure the latch.

There are plastic ones and metal ones. Walmart again has those although they may not have the metal ones. A trailer supply store like Camping World will have them or look on line at a site like Etrailer.

It is said to not attach the breakaway switch cable to the hitch itself as the hitch could possibly fall off of the vehicle in a failure situation. That said there is no good spot on my truck to hook it to other than a hole on the receiver on the truck. That's where I hook mine. I put a carabiner through the loop on the cable and I use that to attach it.

Drain the tank is all I do for storing between trips. Chlorine is your friend in this situation. I sanitize my fresh tank in the spring and then I don't worry about it any more other than draining it. Same with the water heater. drain it. Just don't forget to refill it before you try to use it again.