cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries Stolen...Now What?

campin_in_the_r
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2 12 Volt batteries were stolen (off the tongue of our trailer which is parked next to our house) this week. I am very disappointed, but I need to move forward so I am trying to decide what to replace them with.

The wires were all cut by the thief (thieves) so I am going to have to replace some wiring as well as the batteries. Since I am starting from scratch on the batteries should I do something entirely different from what we had?

Do we buy two new 12 Volt batteries, two 6 Volt, four 6 volt, something else?

Do we find a way to place the batteries in our pass-through storage to keep them safer or are there off-gassing issues with having them "inside" the trailer?

I know there are a lot of people here who have tried a lot with batteries so I am open to ideas (and some opinions).
2013 Forest River Cascade 22BH
2014 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SB 4X4
45 REPLIES 45

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'm sorry for your loss.

You can't prevent theft but you can slow the thieves down.

Consider using AGM chemistry. The bank should still have an emergency vent to the great outdoors but it would be ok to have them inside a compartment.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.