cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best regarded brands - Generally speaking

kentucky_slim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, great resource you all have cultivated here.

A little background...I'm a 40 something outdoorsman, life long camper, etc. Spent many, many days and weekends of my youth at various lakes and campgrounds in an old Coachman TT that was previously my grandparents and later bought from them by my parents.

Flash forward many years and I have my own family with 2 young boys and I'm looking to get a TT. I do a lot of tent camping, backpacking, etc, but my wife (a prissy city girl) will require A/C and the accommodations an RV can provide. I hope / plan on making a purchase sometime in the next year or two.

Right now it is research, research and research some more. As such I have one big question.

What are, if any, some of the generally better regarded makes/brands when it comes to TT?

Given that very broad question let me try to trim it down a bit so hopefully you wonderful guys and gals can help me focus my research.

Budget up to 25k'ish cash...could go more...could certainly go less.
New or slightly used. Not in a rush to buy. Off season purchase most likely.
Tow vehicle likely to be my 1/2 ton pickup, but certainly have thought about bumping up to 3/4 ton pickup diesel or maybe a gasser for a variety of reasons.
Under 30 foot likely preferred. Although I do have a lot of towing experience.
Most hauls will be under 700 miles round trip for foreseeable future, but the occasional long distance run until the boys are a bit bigger.
Family of 4. Kids are younger so floorplan with rear bunks is preferred/needed.
Slide(s) on non door side or no slides at all.
Interior height is a HUGE concern as I'm 6'6". This also affects the master bed i.e. no entertain system up against end of bed as I'm seen on some floorplans.
All season kit important as I do a lot of hunting all fall and winter and could use for winter trips.

Probably missing some obvious things here, but like I said hoping to focus my search a little on specific brands that seem to have better quality control, initial reliability. I've been looking on the web and stuff for months and nothing beats responses from those with real life experiences. I am an extremely handy individual and understand/practice preventative maintenance, but a TT is for enjoyment / relaxation and don't want to be chasing problems every time out.

Thanks in advance!
18 REPLIES 18

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If your handy on the PM work, you know much of what to look for.Appliances are similar in most, frames and axles in general are similar and designed to the level stated on the manufacturer description, they don't tend to overbuild. Interior fixtures cabinets , you know the drill, screws are better than Staples, wood even plywood is better than particle board. Fit and finish will tell you much.
Warranties tend to be similar, a few offer 2 years , Jayco is one that does.
The 6'6" is going to be tight, most have that height, but I'll bet you tend touch light fixtures and AC units. A 5er may do ya a little better there.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco must be doing something right being the most popular brand.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you could find a Nash or Arctic Fox would be my top picks.

sunshdw
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone Premier, Lance and Grand Design trailers are the first that popped into my head. I'm not sure about interior heights of them since I'm only 6' tall ๐Ÿ™‚ but for all the other features they'll work.
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Bighorn
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB