cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocker recommendations?

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of replacing my 2011 Arctic Fox, but am not sure what to replace it with.

Our camping is almost exclusively dry, and normally older Forest Service campgrounds and dispersal sites.

Big deals for us are cold weather capacity, and larger waste tank capacity than we currently have. A more generous shower would be nice, too! TV, fireplaces, and fancy chandeliers would have no place in my rig!

I tow with a 2018 F350 Crew cab, long bed, so can probably tow anything that will fit an older campground.

There is a bewildering variety of TT out there. Any recommendations?
20 REPLIES 20

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both open range and grand design have tested cold/hot weather ratings and large tanks in smaller trailers. If tanks are a big driver then grand design takes the cake with 80-90 gallons in 2x grey tanks on pretty much all Imagine models.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
One could have a cargo trailer customized into a TT, with extra insulation and the exact items desired. I doubt it would cost as much as some of the high end TTs, yet it might be better built and have greater attention to detail than the assembly line stuff.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What model AF TT do you have now? AF is usually near the top of the heap in insulation and tank capacities. Not certain you can doo much better?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance you have friends who camp at the Colorado river? Or maybe join a river forum.

Those guys park trailers out there in super hot weather and have the money to afford a trailer with better than average insulation techniques.

Might be able to get a few trailer models that those guys like.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We camp that way as well preferring boondocking over FS CGs and stay away from RV resort style campgrounds. So . . . even though we camp that way, our current rig works well, very well for us. Yes, we have to be more selective of areas to fit in and roads going in, but we did the same when we had a 19' Sportsmaster, a 23' and 27' Companion, and our last TT, a 32' Komfort. All worked well for dispersed camping. All the TT's had smaller tanks, but our FW is well appointed and even though it has the ceiling fan, fireplace, onboard vacuum, and flat screen TVs, they are all nice when we happen to camp in a FS CG with electricity. Yes, that fireplace does heat the unit.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
ORV would be worth a look.

With off the path style camping you may want to consider length even though you have a formidable tow vehicle.