cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

boondocking

MFOX
Explorer
Explorer
We have been loving our new to us travel trailer this summer. This weekend we are boondocking/no electric hookup. We had moved up from a popup so we know ways to conserve a little, but I was wondering if anyone had additional ideas that will help. We really can't afford a generator, so this year not really an option. Thanks
MFox
Wonderful DH
Three kids:)
Daughter 99
Sons 01 & 05
Four rescue dogs who are wonderful!
19 REPLIES 19

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I do two basic things to my lights when boondocking.

#1) In my ceiling lights both bulbs come on with the switch. So I open all the lenses and pull one bulb out of each light fixture. I just lay the bulb loose inside the lens so I don't lose it.

#2) Turn them off when not in use. I am constantly turning off the lights that the family leaves on. ๐Ÿ™‚

My batteries will easily last a weekend like this. Charge them up and go camping, you'll be fine.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We were in your position 3 years ago. Stock trailer, one battery, no generator and we needed the heater at night in below freezing weather at night. we didn't use the house light, using small battery light instead. The hot water heater was only on when needed. The furnace was at 50 degrees at night only. The portable TV, Mp3, dvd,laptop and phones were charged in the truck overnight.

After 3 day the grp 27 battery was down to 12.3v at resting and I knew it wouldn't make it so I turned the truck around, hooked a heavy set of cables and ran it for a hour a night. It kept the furnace going for the rest of the week.

I agree that a small amount of solar could do it for you if you get the sun to do it. A small folding kit could make up for a low power user or at least extend the time your battery will last.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Move to led lighting.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Can you afford some solar? That will do you good in a boondocking situation. Also, generators aren't as expensive as they used to be. Costco has a "Smarter Tools" generator for $599.99 that has a true Yamaha engine in it.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
We did that for two years before buying a honda 2000 generator. Basically when dry camping we used trailer as a fancy tent. Only used pump to pee at night and otherwise used campground facilities. For lights we used round portable LEDs that worked on triple a batteries most of the time. Used paper plates and plastic utensils. Did dishes once a day to conserve using the pump. Refer and hot water on propane but the still use battery power. We ran truck an hour or so each day to top off battery. Worked okay but got old.

Now with generator we can dry camp for a week before tanks fill. That is our limitation.

Also hot a second battery to add more power. Cheaper than a generator and if you don't need the furnace or fan can last a weekend with conservation.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed