cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brakes grabbing

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Today while cruising along about 60 mph, I suddenly felt the trailer jerk once, pretty hard, about 1/4 mile later another jerk, not so bad. Then everything felt fine for about another mile or so an the engine bogged down, then everything was fine. ten miles later we hit a red light and the brakes worked fine, but SMOKE from the right side or the trailer wheels. Pulled into an Autozone lot across the street.
I used a thermometer to check if the problem was one brake or all. All four brakes were about 195 to 210 f.
We waited about twenty minutes, pulled forward and it seemed as if the brakes were free. Went about six blocks and felt rhe brakes grabbing again when not applied. Stopped again for about twenty minutes and found a nearby campground less than rwo miles away. We drove there without a problem, but what do we do next? We are in Ft Stockton Tx. No RV shop nearby.
30 REPLIES 30

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Could be an intermittent ground issue. Either ground to the vehicle or individual wheel magnet grounds.
Simple solution to just get you on the road, first try turning the gain all the way down although I don’t really think that will work.
If it doesn’t, disconnect the power wire to the brakes, at the trailer plug or junction box on the tongue and drive carefully.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold