cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing Trailer in for Service - Need Advice

InTheRockies
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I've got a few issues with my travel trailer and will be bringing it in for service this week. Was 2 days into my 6 week trip when I discovered two leaks. Also have mice & chipmunks getting into the trailer, and need to address that issue.

Before dropping off the trailer, I wanted to get some input on the issues I'm having the dealer address in an effort to provide them more direction and try to limit the damage to my wallet.

1. Replace the water valve on the toilet - I watched some YouTube videos on this and it seems it should only take 15-20 minutes. Most places seem to want to charge for an hour of labor and $50-$70 for the valve. I'm pretty sure I could do it myself, but it will take longer for me to get the part, and I'm in a hurry to get this stuff done and resume my trip.

2. Identify shower leak and repair. When I pressurized the water system I got quite a bit of water spraying between the tub and the shower surround. Because the water leak is that high up (and I didn't see any evidence of water below the tub where the drain line is), I would think the issue is the tub faucet. I removed the tub faucet and didn't see any evident cracks in the fixture, and the supply lines looked ok from what I could see. Anything else I can do to troubleshoot to save time at the repair shop?

3. Remove portion (8' x 3') of underbelly on rear of trailer, replace insulation soiled by rodents, remove any remnants of rodent activity, and replace underbelly material (it's not coroplast but the thinner, more flexible plastic/vinyl). Any idea how long this might take? I had an estimate from one dealer of 6 hours to do the whole length (17' box; 24' tongue to bumper). So for only about 3 feet of length (and 8' width), any guess on how long this should take?

Thanks in advance.
2019 Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 17BHSE
2006 Ram 1500 SLT Sport 5.7L Hemi, CC, 6.5' box
17 REPLIES 17

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer works off of Book Time just like car dealers do. If it says 1 hour to replace the kitchen sink and the tech does it in 20 minutes, you will get charged for 1 hour. the tech will get paid for 1 hour. If the tech is good he can get stuff fixed in less time than the book time and make a whole lot of money. Now if the job isn't done right the tech was a fault he fixes it for free. Now some stuff I will fix yet some stuff I will not even tackle. Had a problem with heater, had a repair guy come over and I watched him and what he did. Now if I have a problem I will work on it myself.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I personally refuse to pay anyone for something I can do. Buy the parts on line & save. Do what your doing, YouTube's your friend, watch a couple on the subject.

The shower may need a simple re caulking. I admit my wifes better at this than I am, she does cake decorations and says it the same. I can do it but not as smooth a bead as she does.

The chloroplast under is the easiest on you list. Make the opening U cut with the opening to the rear. Get a roll of aluminum tape to close it back up. Tape sticks to almost anything and its water proof, wipe the dirt away from where the tape will go.

You will save many dollars and you can do all these in a day. The dealer will take weeks, and add, taxes, shop supplies, disposal fees etc not in the "estimate". $75 shop rates cheap these days Camping Worlds up to $120 - $130 an hour.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember that repair facilities have minimums for labor. If it is truly a 15 to 20 minute repair, you’ll be charged for an hour. The markup on parts is at least 100%. My Chevy dealer is no different. Nor was I in my working days...either make a fair to me profit, or don’t take the case, repair, order etc. No one is interested in very small potatoes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad