cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying first trailer/ advice for recent graduate

4Runner03
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everybody, first post. I've been reading through the stickies around the forums and learning heaps.

I am looking to buy my first travel trailer and need some advice.

I just graduated college and moved to Washington from Colorado. I am a forester and spend a lot of time in the woods. In my next few years it looks like I could be moving around quite a bit again with work. To me a travel trailer seems like a great idea. I've been living in my boss' '22 Nash and don't mind it one bit, I actually love it. So here are my goals and please correct me if I'm wrong:

Keep living costs low (student loans)
Have a sense of home wherever I go, tired of packing and moving every year
Possibly cheaper than apartments, in my area without utilities ~$650 Rv lot w/utilities $350/month
Have an asset when done, if I can purchase one where depreciation has slowed
Love the freedom of going anywhere

I recently found one at a dealer and negotiated what I think is a fair deal, but I would appreciate some input!

It's a 2008 Komfort Ridgecrest 181. http://www.clearcreekrvcenter.com/rv/2008-KOMFORT-RIDGECREST-181-4406
I negotiated down to 8,200 and have the financing ready to go at $130/month at 6%. Would likely pay double that to not get upside down.

Cliff Notes:
Is a travel trailer a good idea for me in your experience?
Do I have a good deal set up?

Cheers
33 REPLIES 33

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
4Runner03 wrote:
Hey everybody, first post. I've been reading through the stickies around the forums and learning heaps.

I am looking to buy my first travel trailer and need some advice.

I just graduated college and moved to Washington from Colorado. I am a forester and spend a lot of time in the woods. In my next few years it looks like I could be moving around quite a bit again with work. To me a travel trailer seems like a great idea. I've been living in my boss' '22 Nash and don't mind it one bit, I actually love it. So here are my goals and please correct me if I'm wrong:

Keep living costs low (student loans)
Have a sense of home wherever I go, tired of packing and moving every year
Possibly cheaper than apartments, in my area without utilities ~$650 Rv lot w/utilities $350/month
Have an asset when done, if I can purchase one where depreciation has slowed
Love the freedom of going anywhere

I recently found one at a dealer and negotiated what I think is a fair deal, but I would appreciate some input!

It's a 2008 Komfort Ridgecrest 181. http://www.clearcreekrvcenter.com/rv/2008-KOMFORT-RIDGECREST-181-4406
I negotiated down to 8,200 and have the financing ready to go at $130/month at 6%. Would likely pay double that to not get upside down.

Cliff Notes:
Is a travel trailer a good idea for me in your experience?
Do I have a good deal set up?

Cheers

First, it will never be an "asset" - you will never make more money selling it than it cost to live in it. It will never gain in value. Even paying twice the payment, you'll lose money.

Two, add your RV lot fees to your $260 RV payments and you're looking at $610 per month. Not a huge savings. In addition, any problems with the TT are at your expense - problems with an apartment are at the landlord's expense.

Then you have to consider the tow vehicle - is your current vehicle big enough to handle towing the trailer (even on a seasonal/yearly basis)? Will you have to buy a different vehicle to tow it? Add on that cost.

Then you have to consider winter - will you be in areas that get below freezing? If so, you have to consider that RVs often don't have wrapped pipes or other cold weather protection. How will you handle those freezing temperatures? Also, if there will be below freezing winters, the RV parks may close during those times.

My general advice is that if you are looking at living in an RV to save money, don't do it. You won't save enough to make it worthwhile. If you are looking at living in an RV because you want the freedom to move around, then it might be a good deal.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Beware of leaks. Don't count on an asset after a few years. It is 7 years old when purchased. RV lot could be cheaper than $650 and utilities less than $350. It depends on location (temps in area for utilities and demand for lot)as to costs.
You have a plan now work to make it work.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Owned a Komfort and think it was a good TT.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Will you be in any harsh winter environments, living in the TT ?
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74