cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying van to pull my trailer

Joe_C
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Jayco 10 ft. fold out a camper trailer with the 2 ft. storage in front. It has size 14 radial tires. Trailer weight 1950 net about 2800 gross.
I plan on buying a 2008 to newer Grand Caravan.I was wondering if the
3.3 v6 could handle that weight or do I have to go to the 3.6 or 3.8v6.
22 REPLIES 22

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:

I don't have to research anything

Then you will never learn anything!

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:

Generally speaking, for towing, I think you will find that a properly set up M-Van will outperform and be safer than your average pick up in many situations. The topic has been discussed many times. Do your research.

I don't have to research anything to know that there are certain laws of physics at work when towing and a heavier, stronger-constructed vehicle is going to be better. Especially when equipped with a stronger transmission, larger brakes and the proper load-rated tires. Not to mention a longer wheelbase and a hitch that is bolted to a hardened steel frame instead of a few layers of stamped sheetmetal making a unibody. Tow with what you want, just stay out of my way chugging up hills as your engine and trans burns itself into oblivion.
Name one situation where a m-van would outperform or be safer than towing with a 1/2 ton pickup.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:

It's more than just getting it moving. It's controlling it once it's moving and stopping it that become a problem with too little of a TV. A good crosswind or an emergency stop is going to tax that minivan pretty good. Not to mention other control and stability issues. The GC is front wheel drive and when you get a load on the back like a TT you reduce the weight over the drive wheels, reducing control even more, particularly in wet conditions. You can do what you want, I'll stick with my 1/2 ton for pulling large loads. What's a 28' Airstream weigh, anyhow?

Generally speaking, for towing, I think you will find that a properly set up M-Van will outperform and be safer than your average pick up in many situations. The topic has been discussed many times. Do your research.

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:
AirForceAngler wrote:

Someone towed a 28' Airstream with a mini van?

So....... because it worked so well was it because the Grand is such a good TV, the Airstream was so easy to tow, or a combination of both?

It's more than just getting it moving. It's controlling it once it's moving and stopping it that become a problem with too little of a TV. A good crosswind or an emergency stop is going to tax that minivan pretty good. Not to mention other control and stability issues. The GC is front wheel drive and when you get a load on the back like a TT you reduce the weight over the drive wheels, reducing control even more, particularly in wet conditions. You can do what you want, I'll stick with my 1/2 ton for pulling large loads. What's a 28' Airstream weigh, anyhow?

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:

Someone towed a 28' Airstream with a mini van?

So....... because it worked so well was it because the Grand is such a good TV, the Airstream was so easy to tow, or a combination of both?

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:
Here is a nice towing article that may help you with your questions....

Towing with a Grand

Someone towed a 28' Airstream with a mini van? Oh HECK no! :E

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a nice towing article that may help you with your questions....

Towing with a Grand

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need to see what engine comes with the towing package. You'll definitely want the towing package as it will come with an auxiliary transmission cooler, reciever hitch and wiring. The trans cooler is the most important thing as Caravans are not known for having strong transmissions and towing can be hard on any automatic trans if not equipped right. Go online and see what the options and specs are for the van your looking for.