cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper fall down. Nothing but pride hurt. And jacks.

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer
This all happened on a Wednesday before my first camping trip.

Well, I put a flat bed on my pickup. Before the flat bed, the camper just barely went higher then the truck. After, I needed about 3 inches.

I had the idea that all I had to do was put some 4x4's under the feet and it'll work out fine (Had done this with a smaller camper I had).

Wrong, the back leg kicked and over it went. Luckily I had the truck under the front for support, which kept it from toppling even worse, and even more luckily I had just rebuilt the read portion this spring, adding full 2x6 framing in the rear floor.

No damage to the camper framing. Some light aluminum bending, but otherwise just destroyed my jack plates and three jacks.

I put the last picture up on facebook, and a buddy stopped by. We used boat jacks and a floor jack to raise the camper. When done with that, he helped me put some galvy pipe into the jacks and extended the jacks high enough to load onto the truck. This is something I should have done first... I had done the same thing for my last camper and I knew better.

Thankfully I had some steel angle thick enough to act as a jack plate, and my friend Dion had just given me some old camper jacks he had lying around. By Friday afternoon, I was on the beach!

Its been a great summer on the beach, even if I am very leery about loading the damned camper now.

16 REPLIES 16

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch.

I was worried about exactly the same thing when I bought my camper - at least one leg stuck out at an undesirable angle. First thing I did was build a frame out of re-bar with sockets at each corner for the jack legs to slot into preventing them from kicking out.

I like your flat bed - very nice.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes!! I'm glad you got it back up with minimal damage! Also that you were still able to get to the beach for fun! That's the way to do it! Just keep truckin'! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992