cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping in an EV.... Always charging...

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
So here is the start of the FLT driving from Sacramento to Ak in their electric F150 Lighting.

Just a few observations from me:

#1. To put a "canopy" on a truck and calling it a camper is a joke. "Come on man" I never knew I had a "camper" on my truck all the time? :S

#2.Did he ever say how much time it took to charge on this trip? If so, I missed it. If not, TOTALLY unactable. If so, can someone tell me how many hours it took to charge. That is a huge part of camping in one of these things.

#3. He had to stop 9 times!!! 9 times!!! I would have to stop 1 time in the same trip with my ICE truck. Lets say it took an hour per stop. That would add a day to this small trip.

#4. To put a piece of whatever on top of your cab and say you got X improvement to aero is a joke. I have towed that route many, many times and my fuel mileage has varied a lot just from traffic or wind or whatever. Besides, the biggest aero improvement to this rig is going to be from the back and has nothing to do with the front.

#5. Maybe it was just the way the guy looked, but he looked very frazzled a lot of times to me? Not relaxed at all? Range anxiety? :h

In any event, I hope they put a "real" camper on the back of that thing and do a trip. Or hook a travel trailer to the back of this truck and do a trip like most of us on this forum would do. You know, a real average TT like I see on 100's of F150 around the US.

If they want it realistic, they need to make it realistic.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
116 REPLIES 116

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
8.1 Van wrote:
It looks like the first 30 minutes is free.

Duke Farms charging

Yah. We have seen those in the Palm Springs area before. First x amount of time is free.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
8.1 Van wrote:
I rode one of my E bikes to Duke Farms (Hillsborough, NJ) this morning and they have many free level 1 and 2 chargers there in the main parking lot but I have long range 20Ah batteries in my E bikes so no need to use their chargers and I solar charge them when I get home.

That exact unit is popular in some of the plazas around here. Not free though. Seems to me it was either a buck or maybe 2 bucks an hour. 7.7 on the one we tried but I think some are 6.6 kw.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
I rode one of my E bikes to Duke Farms (Hillsborough, NJ) this morning and they have many free level 1 and 2 chargers there in the main parking lot but I have long range 20Ah batteries in my E bikes so no need to use their chargers and I solar charge them when I get home.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
But apparently you are doing it in a region that is geared to recharging your vehicle, AND you don't mind searching for charge locations and gearing ALL of your travel to fit those stops.
I have no idea how this would work out, have not looked at it, but,,,, since you have professed the ease and simplicity of your style of travel, map a trip from,,,,,,
Salt lake city, to the mighty 5 and on to the grand canyon. Maybe even continue on to the Rio Grand Valley.
Does it still work easy?

For those who might have wondered how locating charging stations really works for EV owners: For Tesla, the locations of Tesla chargers are in the nav system, and it will take care of navigating you to one when the time comes. (At least, that's how I understand it. I have a different car.) For other cars, there's a pair of online sites and associated phone apps that work very well for this:

A Better Route Planner (ABRP): https://abetterrouteplanner.com/
Enter in your make and model of car, and other parameters (how low you want to get, what the weather is like, what your acceptable charge providers are, etc.) and it will give you a route with charge stops at appropriate distances.

A note: Depending on the car and the battery pack's charging curve, it can sometimes be faster to stop more often for less charge than less often for a (nearly) full charge. Cars that support high speed charging often only support the highest speeds up to around 50-60% of their capacity, and then it goes slower up to 80% or so. The last 15-20% is usually not worth getting while on the road. Most people do the full charge overnight while they sleep instead.

PlugShare: https://www.plugshare.com/
Not so much for mapping, just for finding chargers when you're at a specific location. Allows filtering by charger type and power output.

There are also apps specific to particular charger networks that can help locate chargers on those networks, as well as provide status on how many are operational and whether any are currently available for use. A couple of the most common are Electrify America and EVGo.

BTW, the route you suggested above isn't a hard one. It's not that far from SLC to the Grand Canyon and there are plenty of good charging locations en route. I could do the drive (not towing), there and back, with two stops. One stop on the way, and one stop on the way back, both at the EA (Electrify America) station in Beaver UT, and no need to charge overnight. No idea what adding the 5 NPs would add though, but likely still not hard given how common chargers are there.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.motortrend.com/news/worksport-terra...

Didnt mention the cost but Im sure something like that wouldnt be hard to make yourself for litle money.
Solar panels are cheap nowadays. Add a Jackery or Blue etti or other portable power storage and youre done.
And
Since they mentioned Atlis motors which is obvious SCAM whos been promising ev truck since forever while having nothing to show for it besides CGI pictures Id be very weary of this co.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.motortrend.com/news/worksport-terra...

What a great idea but todays vandals will have fun breaking all that glass just for meanness and jealously. I have enjoyed "camping" in my truck, tent and travel trailer. The beat goes on.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
More comments: Who goes camping without an ice chest, cook stove, bags of food, or a lawn chair? Also, there were plenty of external driving shots of the truck which suggests a support vehicle (maybe with a generator) and a crew. My guess is they all stayed in motels, which from my point of view, says nothing about the truck and its capabilities.

A separate post on this forum shows I was right about some of my speculations:

They do have a crew and an F150 hybrid traveling with them. The external driving shots was an easy giveaway.

I guessed on the generator. Apparently, they tried to charge the Lightning with the on board generator in the hybrid.

I'm speculating here they stowed their essential camping gear in the hybrid to keep the BEV lighter. Not really up and up as far as I am concerned.

As far as the motels go; I'm sticking with it.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Sjm9911 wrote:
I posted this years ago here, wonder why no one added it to one of these trucks. Or if even if it generates enough voltage to use as an extender for a EV truck.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.motortrend.com/news/worksport-terravis-solar-tonneau-cover-truck-bed-power-system/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwj1wpz5vpn5AhWTkokEHRzDDSMQtwJ6BAgHEAE&usg=AOvVaw2IZ0YLdYrXWeI3-O7Xirga

Kinda cool. But I think more practical as a maintainer than a charger for an electric vehicle. Enough to maybe maintain some HVAC while parked etc. Iโ€™m also not sure how they would integrate it into the trucks software and hardware. Interesting though.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this years ago here, wonder why no one added it to one of these trucks. Or if even if it generates enough voltage to use as an extender for a EV truck.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.motortrend.com/news/worksport-terravis-solar-tonneau-cover-truck-bed-power-system/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwj1wpz5vpn5AhWTkokEHRzDDSMQtwJ6BAgHEAE&usg=AOvVaw2IZ0YLdYrXWeI3-O7Xirga
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
stsmark wrote:
Someone mentioned that they felt there was a chase vehicle due to driving shots. In the first installment they said they were taking a hybrid F 150 as well. They even tried charging the Lightning with it. I think they could get 7 miles of range an hour. I hope they do a segment comparing them.

7 sounds about right as I believe the truck has a 14-30 receptacle (locking). That translates to about 5.7 kw an hour so maybe 12 to 14 kilometres tops.

I havenโ€™t see the last episode yet so Iโ€™m curious how they do it. BC hydro is 18 to 30 months away from putting in DC fast charging stations on the two corridors going to Alaska. It will be interesting to watch. Weโ€™ll be making that trip when they do. Looking forward to it. Especially the Yukon. Lots of infrastructure going in in that region in the next two years.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen evidence of any "EV zealots" here.:h We have had a couple of informative posts by a member who actually tows with an EV. My point was that the original video linked made no representation of the truck as a tow vehicle. That didn't stop the OP from going off on a tangent about what is camping. This thread was "wrong" from the get go and my guess is the OP started it only because he'd been so thoroughly embarrassed in another recent thread. Seems this one didn't go any better for him.:S Anyway, I think we can all agree that range and possibly payload reduce the usefulness of the Lightning as a tow vehicle. Feel free to repeat that as many times as you need.:W

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
Someone mentioned that they felt there was a chase vehicle due to driving shots. In the first installment they said they were taking a hybrid F 150 as well. They even tried charging the Lightning with it. I think they could get 7 miles of range an hour. I hope they do a segment comparing them.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Ignoring the chest puffing over what qualifies as camping....

This is an RV site and it is at best marginal to call a pickup with a bed cap an RV and really irrelevant when talking about range.

It's a vehicle, being used for recreation. Therefore it is a Recreational Vehicle, an RV.

An F150 towing a TT is less of an RV than one with a bed cap used to overnight in. Trailers are not vehicles. Just ask your nearest crusty old phart when the bill from the Motor Vehicle Department comes in the mail on January 2nd.

If you really want to get nit picky about it, spending a couple of days in your little house on wheels is not "camping." Camping is sleeping on the ground under the stars with a rock as a pillow.

It's quite common for terms to take on meanings over time that are not consistent with the original underlying terms. They evolve over time.

We spent several years traveling on our boat...it's a vehicle and was used for recreation but only someone trying to be pedantic would call it an RV.

Same goes for calling it "camping" which comes from setting up an encampment. Camping implies setting up temporary accommodations in an outdoor area. It doesn't have to be tents. ...over time, in recreational use it came to be associated with camping in tents but as RVs (aka: campers) came about, it came to include those also. Really the term RV is a much more recent term intended to differentiate camping in an RV vs camping in a tent.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV