cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Dicor be used as an adhesive??

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on "gluing" down an 85w flexible solar panel I bought, and I am wondering if dicor would be sticky enough to handle that, or if I need to buy some kind of roofing adhesive and then just hit the edges with dicor. Also planning to dicor and eternabond any holes I need to make for cables, and also eternabond a previously dealer-repaired leak, just to be extra sure about it as long as I am on the roof anyways.

Pic of the panel (15"x86"):
27 REPLIES 27

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
ryanw821 wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
I haven't read all the posts, but I would not recommend using Eternabond even the double sided stuff to secure anything. It is not a good adhesive since the microsealant is soft especially when warm and stretches. If you pull on the microsealant constantly it will release a lot of times from the surface. If you want a good adhesive look at either the 3M Marine UV 4000 and if securing items like wires the 5200 might be O.K. however the 5200 is not UV protected so I'm not sure how long it would last.

Larry

I ended up using 3M 5200, but it's on the back side, so should not get any sunlight/UV.

That is by far the best to use between two surfaces, but remember you will NEVER BE ABLE TO REMOVE the item without destroying either the item or the surface. I have what I would call extensive individual usage experience with both the regular roof seal and the double sided Eternabond in probably as many applications as anyone here.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
I haven't read all the posts, but I would not recommend using Eternabond even the double sided stuff to secure anything. It is not a good adhesive since the microsealant is soft especially when warm and stretches. If you pull on the microsealant constantly it will release a lot of times from the surface. If you want a good adhesive look at either the 3M Marine UV 4000 and if securing items like wires the 5200 might be O.K. however the 5200 is not UV protected so I'm not sure how long it would last.

Larry

I ended up using 3M 5200, but it's on the back side, so should not get any sunlight/UV.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
My Roadtrek wrote:
3M VHB auto moulding tape. Strong, easy to use, and can be removed.

I wanted this install to be permanent, but that's a good thought, I've used the 3M VHB tape before installing my LED "panel" lights and for some automotive uses, not totally sure I would trust it for a solar panel though, maybe.

Here's the panel install with wiring completed:

MPPT Controller:

Wiring to factory battery cables:

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
3M VHB auto moulding tape. Strong, easy to use, and can be removed.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
Going to update you all on my progress, I have been busy yesterday and today working on this, I took the advice of WESTEND and used a tube of 3M 5200 Marine adhesive (let it sit overnight), and followed that up with 4" Eternabond tape around the edges, so there's no way wind can exert any upward force on the panel. It doesn't really show it in the pic (through a dirty 2nd floor window), but I scrubbed that half of the roof with a soft bristle brush and roof cleaner before any work began.

It is still a work in progress, I still have more to do (running cabling, sealing cable entrance, etc...), but I think this is going to work out just fine.

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor is not a good adhesive. Don't ask how I know this.
2005 Rockwood 2104
2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4WD
Equalizer
Prodigy

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor would not be a very good, or long lasting adhesive IMO.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
I should also note, I plan on eternabonding the wires down to keep them from catching wind and brushing/chafing against the roof and potentially causing nicks/tears in the roof. I see so many installs where people have screwed in wire clips/guides and then hit the screws with dicor, I am of the train of thought that the fewer holes in my roof to start with the better, so I figure taping down the wires will be best.
The ONLY hole I plan in my roof is the one where the wires go in, which I will dicor the heck out of and then probably eternabond around that, I am paranoid of and DON'T want leaks, lol

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Have you ever tried to remove Dicor? It's VERY difficult to do.
So I had no problem using it as an adhesive for a stainless steel plate I glued to the roof where the wheel to my Wingard Traveler hits it. It works really well. Probably cheaper than what a roll of double sided Eternabond will cost too.

That was my thought, and why I asked, but it sounds like double sided eternabond or 3M marine adhesive are both good candidates too, decisions, decisions, I am going to have to weigh all this advice and decide on what to do, lol

I will post photos of my project once I am completed, hopefully I have enough time before our next camping trip in a few weeks, will be nice to not have to worry about battery levels quite so much.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
So your plan is to use the eternalbond as a somewhat air ramp.
Have in on the roof, and build up to the edge of the panel then over top of it.
Yeah, good idea..if the experts say that product can handle it.
Would actually be a pretty slick and easy set up.

Yeah, pretty much exactly my thoughts, plan on doing all 4 sides. There's not a very large border around the panel, so I wont get much holding force from it, but it should be effective in keeping wind from getting under it at all.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever tried to remove Dicor? It's VERY difficult to do.
So I had no problem using it as an adhesive for a stainless steel plate I glued to the roof where the wheel to my Wingard Traveler hits it. It works really well. Probably cheaper than what a roll of double sided Eternabond will cost too.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
So your plan is to use the eternalbond as a somewhat air ramp.
Have in on the roof, and build up to the edge of the panel then over top of it.
Yeah, good idea..if the experts say that product can handle it.
Would actually be a pretty slick and easy set up.
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
An admitted RV amateur...but well versed in construction.

So here is my concern. Adhesive used on the roof has two fail points.
Wind ripping it off the roof while driving. Or, you adhesive doing it's job and the panel being ripped off and taking part of your rubber roof with it.
It just doesn't sound like a good idea to me (unless it would be shielded from the wind while driving).

The battery/solar shop I go to in my area showed me one of those and said the advantage to having flexible is to NOT attach it to the trailer since it is flexible, it goes in and out of the trailer easily...

If I wanted portable I would have bought a suitcase type setup, would have been easier to store than this, the photo may not show it, while light weight and narrow, its a bit over 7 feet long, which means it's not exactly portable, lol

It is however VERY thin (I would guess under 1/4"), and I should be able to easily keep the wind from exerting any force on it by eternabonding the edges to the roof.