cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chocks for "No Load Hitch" wheels

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1998 Fold n Roll trailer. It has a patent pending (as of 1998) no load hitch. This is basically two small airplane tires mounted under the hitch on a 360 degree swivel.

I am trying to find a chock (or pair) that will keep the trailer from moving AND the front tires from spinning when I have to level the back tires on boards.

Aircraft Spruce suggested this but I don't think it will stop the tires from spinning.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking I may have to make a U shaped wood chock that is tall enough that the tires can't spin right over it. But if anyone has a ready made suggestion or better idea for a homemade, I'm interested.

Thanks.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)
24 REPLIES 24

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. Caster wheel chocks are a real thing. I’ve got a few small sizes for woodworking equipment in my garage. Just a matter of scaling them up for your tires. Personally, I would make one for each tire, rather than one that’s wide enough for both tires. I just have a gut feeling the singles will work better.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks! That's what I've been thinking, but wasn't sure there was something better already out there.

Sounds like that's my best bet.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Fabricate something like this:

Or this:

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Downtheroad - the groove idea is what I'm thinking of basically with wood. I'd make a U shaped 3-sided box that fits around the front tires. Tall enough so the tires can't roll over it. Then I'd use my standard chock at the back of the tires to keep them from rolling backward.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Think of them like a hitch castor wheel except they are real tires and they never raise off the ground.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The front wheels do not raise off the ground. They are always on the ground.

Because of the front wheels, I can only lower the front of the trailer so much. If the parking pad has enough of a slope, I have to level the trailer by putting the rear tires on blocks. When I do that, even with the levelers down, when I walk around inside, the front tires spin around and jump the standard wheel chock, then the back tires roll off the blocks.

So, when I have to raise both sides of the rear, I need to be able to chock the front tires so they don't spin in a circle.

The two front tires are attached together and swivel as a pair.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Are the wheels retractable? Do they have to be down? Can you just use the tow vehicle to move the trailer up on the blocks and then put the jack down to hold the trailer in place? I don't guess I understand what causes the wheels to "spin".
Here is a photo without the wheels.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. That is what I have. I posted a photo of the tires, but now it's not showing.

The chocks shown are what the aircraft shop suggested as "might work", but I think the curve is too minimal to prevent the tires from spinning.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I understand what exactly you have, but you posted this is a solution....
Maybe to "stop the wheels from spinning" you could cut a channel or deep grove in each chock to wedge the wheel in????

Is this what you have?

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to visualize without a photo.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS