cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for advice

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of different threads trying to get at the same thing here but after reading the responses I feel like it might be helpful to provide more details.

Tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
TV GVWR 7,300
TV Tow Rating 8400 (HD Trailering package)
5.3 L V8 w/ 3.4 rear axle
Remaining payload according to the door: 1588

Trailer:
2017 Cruiser RV โ€“ MPG 2400BH
Length: 29 ft
Dry Weight 5,005 lbs

My situation: After putting a little more thought into it I drive about 35,000 miles per year and probably will tow the TT ~5,000 miles of that. The TT is the only thing that I tow.

My daily commute consists of a 16 mile round trip (60 MPH nearly all Highway) taking the boys to school during the school year and then a 50 mile round trip to the office and back (65MPH mostly Highway). Outside of that its trips to church, the ballpark, grocery store etc. We live a bit outside of town so 90% of the time I jump in the car I am traveling at least 8 miles each way. All family vacations are in my vehicle (4 trips to Colorado last year and 1 trip to Florida).

The Tahoe tow's well enough (it's all I have ever know so I probably just don't know any better) but the MPG isn't great at all (8 MPG when towing and 15.5 when not towing). However, for as little as I tow in the grand scheme of things that isn't of great concern to me. What bother's me more is that I am nearly out of payload when towing with the camper and Tahoe loaded up and my boys are just getting bigger. That is what is driving my search for a new TV.

I live in a rural area but am a city boy so I know next to nothing about diesels. About 4 months ago I bought my wife a Range Rover Velar which is a diesel crossover and she is getting crazy good MPG. So far no issues at all with that vehicle and she loves it. I just don't feel I understand the pros and cons of Gas v. Diesel well enough to understand which would be better for my situation.

Gas Pros:
Cheaper Gas (diesel is 35% higher per gallon currently)
Cheaper Upkeep (based on what I have read)
Cheaper Out the door: Though I'm not sure how much cheaper
Better Ride (to be fair I have never even driven a diesel yet)

Diesel Pros:
More power and better towing experience
Longer engine life expectancy
Possible better MPG but will it be 35% better to offset fuel cost?
Would consider a 3/4 diesel which would give us the option to move up to a 5th wheel down the road without having to change TV. Could a gasser handle a 5th wheel?

Looks like maybe the Ford 7.3 V8 (Godzilla) might be an interesting option for me??? Or does this sound like a good fit for a diesel engine?

Again, I know very little about all of this and am trying to educate myself so I apologize if some of the above is inaccurate. Any and all advice/thoughts would be much appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
For the people mover side of what you need, you already have the right vehicle. It pulls your existing trailer, maybe not effortlessly but certainly adequately. I would stay where your at until you are getting closer to finalizing what a fifth wheel would look like for you. With a 2017 Tahoe, it would likely make you financially feel better if you got more miles out of it anyway. The new HD gas engines from GM and Ford will have some time to sort themselves out as well, which would be another bonus. Buying a tow vehicle now for trailer way out on the horizon, could result in underbuying or overbuying if your plans change again which they often do. If you are anxious to buy something now, then you would be best to go big so you don't run the risk of underbuying which is more expensive than overbuying. So in that case it would be 3500 HD Diesel SRW.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
cute post Me Again. :W

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
3/4 ton diesels haven't got much more payload than a 1/2 ton. If you're wanting something to tow a 5'ver with get a one ton srw. It is the same truck as the 3/4 ton for virtually the same price but has an overload spring so it can handle the pin weight of a fiver.

^^^ What he said! If you think you will get a 5th wheel some day in the life of a new rig, then a 250/2500 is a big mistake. The factory numbers on a 350/3500 SRW are much better, and the RV.NET weight police will not be chasing you down.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
3/4 ton diesels haven't got much more payload than a 1/2 ton. If you're wanting something to tow a 5'ver with get a one ton srw. It is the same truck as the 3/4 ton for virtually the same price but has an overload spring so it can handle the pin weight of a fiver.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2015 Tahoe 4x2 does 22 to 23 on the highway w/o my 5200 pound TT, and 10-12 when towing. Wouldnโ€™t think 4x4 would hurt you that much. My payload is 1595 so we are close there. Are you being careful with what you carry in the Tahoe?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Diesels shine when you are driving in mountain country. In the flatlands a gasser will get you by.

The gas Ecoboost shines like a diesel, in The mountains too.:B
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the 7.3 gas ford, that way you can tell us all what you think. Or, buy a used 6.2l f-250 (gas) and see what you think, if it doesnโ€™t do what you want, buy a diesel and be done with it. I doubt this will be the last truck you buy, so just try a few out, buy used and pay cash, you donโ€™t loose as much that way. Or maybe you could rent one for a few days to test drive it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Also depends how long you keep your vehicles. With the high miles you put in, ANY new diesel should have a better roi % at 100k or 200k Miles than its gasser counterpart.
Another thing to consider.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If youโ€™re getting a 5ver then yiunofetty much need a HD pickup. Gas or diesel depends on how big and your preference.
In your current sitch, 35k miles a year, youโ€™re paying about $2500 a year more in gas than diesel compared to a 1/2 ton diesel pickup assuming $3 a gal for both.
That depends on your locale and fuel prices.
It rarely makes sense to have a commuter car (which is all you โ€œneedโ€ for 30k of those miles), but in your case it may make sense financially given your scenario.
On the flip side it appears you are not a mechanic (ie no driving clunkers to save a buck) and financially stable enough to afford piling up the miles on a $60k gas guzzler.

Depends if youโ€™re running the numbers for economy or planning for your next โ€œluxury.โ€
Big gasser trucks will get 10-20% less mileage than your Tahoe and big diesels will get 10-20% better mileage, gas tuck cheaper than a new Tahoe. Diesel truck about the same cost.
I say lifeโ€™s too short to drive something that doesnโ€™t make you look good (if you can afford it), so buy what makes you happy. You can make the numbers work compared to the Tahoe with pretty much any of the options youโ€™re considering.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diesels shine when you are driving in mountain country. In the flatlands a gasser will get you by.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

camper1013
Explorer
Explorer
Your trailer sound very similar to my previous. 32' and 7200lbs gross. I had a 2016 chevy 1500 crew cab. I was very close on my wights. Not sure how much better it would be than your Tahoe, but I did get better MPG than you empty (~20 on freeway speeds, better on highway) and slightly better pulling.

Take it from me, and other on here, if you are upgrading a vehicle and may get a 5th wheel, get a HD and don't upgrade again. A gas would pull your current trailer fine, but your mileage empty is not as good as a 1/2 ton. May be similar to your Tahoe.

Depending on how big a 5th wheel you want will determine gas vs diesel more. We recently got a 14,000 gross 5th wheel and a 1 ton diesel. Happy I went diesel for sure. It may be worth the time to look at 5th wheels if you want to upgrade in the future to determine the weight of the ones you like.

If upgrading to a HD truck, look at the 1 ton and not just 3/4. The cost difference is not much and better weights for a future 5th wheel. Also, in my case registration for 1 ton is $125 year, a 3/4 would have been $800

Like the bear, I to have a daily driver, so I don't have to drive the truck every day.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Another alternative would be to get a fuel efficient car/truck for the 30,000 miles of driving and only use the Tahoe for towing.

I have a crewcab dually to tow our 5th wheel and use a Toyota Avalon for my daily commute. The 2007 truck only has 16,000 miles on it and my 2001 Avalon has 143,000 miles.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
The type of driving you do, meaning mostly highway, would be very conducive to a big diesel. That said I don't think you need one for your trailer.

I would look into a max tow/payload F150 with an Ecoboost, or if you can afford it or just plain want more truck, look at an HD diesel. The Duramax would be my pick of the newest models, or a 2018 Ram CTD. If you want to change, anyway. It sounds like your Tahoe is meeting your needs adequately so the other option would be to stick with it. Maybe beef up the tires some because that's probably the weak link.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Diesels are super fun to tow with. If you have plenty of money buy one you will not regret it. I loved pulling with my diesels. But they have a much more complex everything! If you have plenty and can take that diesel to the shop and not whence that is what I would go with. If could care less that diesel is a third more costly than gas. Then go with it. If you also could care less when the warranty runs out, go with it. But if you can't buy a gasser. JMHO.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!