cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clothes Storage ideas

petestulipbug
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, We are a family of 6 and our hybrid is starting to get a little tight spacewise as the kids are getting older and now they want to bring our dog along. I am looking for ideas or suggestions for ways to store our clothes? Right now we use one of the bunkends which works ok, but we really need that space for sleeping and our bags of clothes get thrown all over. We drive a truck so no storage options there. Thanks in advance!
11 REPLIES 11

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
babamartha wrote:
drenjoey wrote:
We used to bring a tent with us......installed it beside the camper, and store the extras in there, including clothes in bins

This is the best idea yet. Genius!

That came after years of camping and finding a way to accommodate everyone.
We used to have a popup and our kids were bringing friends with them . We knew at the time, they wouldn't feel comfortable dressing up in the popup. That's when the idea came of getting a tent so they could have their privacy to get ready in the morning or getting ready to go out at night.

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:
We used to bring a tent with us......installed it beside the camper, and store the extras in there, including clothes in bins

This is the best idea yet. Genius!
BabaMartha

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
put a cap on the truck and your problem is solved.
bumpy

x2
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
put a cap on the truck and your problem is solved.
bumpy

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I always spent a month each year camping at Florida's beautiful parks. We each had a plastic laundry tub, into which we packed our clothes and shoes for the trip. That's all we took. Jeans can be worn several times before laundering. We packed for different weather, too, so we took layers. Once camp was set up, we stowed our winter gear in the vehicle.

It's camping, for heaven's sake. When we used to camp with a bedroll on the ground, we didn't change clothes at all, all weekend. It added to the whole feeling of roughing it!
BabaMartha

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
does your trailer have a hitch receiver on the back where you could mount a cargo carrier and put clothes in water tight plastic containers in the carrier?
Can a receiver be mounted
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Depends upon how long you are out on a trip, and often you can do laundry.

First, (especially if you have girls).... they CANNOT bring everything. Even when our kids were little and still camping with us, we planned 1 change of clothes every 3 days, and then it was laundry time. When we had our pop-up, we had to do it this way. My daughter hated it, but she survived. She also had to be VERY selective what she took.

Now we have a much, much larger trailer, and no kids. It's just the 2 of us. Now we pack 1 set of clothes for each day of the trip. (7 nights ... 7 pair of underware.... etc.)

We did the laundry routine up until about 2 years ago and then we finally realized.... why in the world are we doing laundry when we now have space! So we changed the way we pack now.

Still.... 3 days of cloths, and then plan on laundry time! It's about the only way to save space unless you can put a carrier on the top of your truck or trailer.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Softopper.com

Not affiliated, just a happycustomer.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TT and a reg cab long bed truck. I also have a "Softopper" cap. This cap is not your standard cap, it has a soft top, like the big rigs that have a canvas like black sides. (Strong stuff) Inside structure is like a convertible car top, with a folding frame. This fame goes across the top and I have on ocasion used it for a closet rod! Only issue was to keep the hangers from sliding around the bend, a shock cord solved that issue.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If kids are small, storage containers on the bunks, If they are older look at the storage units you see used in homes for shoes on a wall or door back, roll clothes and insert into the pockets where you would normally put shoes.