cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converter replacement

maybz
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing an allanson D40 brc-e converter in a older Citation trailer. 12 volt side is shot.
This trailer is used only for off grid camping, occasionally using a generator when needed, and it runs the a/c on those hot days to cool down.
I am open to any suggestions on a full power panel assembly.
I just dont know if i should go 40 amp or larger, as i dont know the actual draw of the air conditioner. the fridge is propane only. Or could i drop down to a 30-35 amp, as for 12 volt it would be lights ,pump and radio drawing power.

Any help is appreciated and thanks
13 REPLIES 13

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Why do you need a converter for off grid use? The converter charges the batteries and supplies 12vdc when connected to shore power. When off grid the converter does nothing.

When operating from a generator all power goes through the breaker panel, no converter necessary.

Not in my trailer nor most/all others. when hooked to the generator the converter is charging the depleted battery! Like in my case to the tune of stuffing 75-100A into it for a few hours to get it back up to 80% or so.

No converter, soon no 12V, no charging, dead battery.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

maybz
Explorer
Explorer
thank you. Exactly what i need

maybz
Explorer
Explorer
the 12 volt system is not working at all. i want to replace the whole power distribution center. i would then have 12 volt fuses. at large party functions a generator is used for running outlets to run electric appliances if needed and in return would peak charge my batteries. sorry for any confusion.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you need a converter for off grid use? The converter charges the batteries and supplies 12vdc when connected to shore power. When off grid the converter does nothing.

When operating from a generator all power goes through the breaker panel, no converter necessary.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
maybz wrote:
just making sure that i will purchase the right converter to power up the a/c for a few hours when needed. I am pretty sure it is running off a 15 amp breaker.

OK, one more time - the converter has nothing to do with the trailer's 120 vac system. Yes, you may have 120 vac breakers on the converter's front panel but electrically the converter has nothing to do with supplying 120 vac to your trailer, including the A/C which should be wired with a 20 amp circuit protected by a 20 amp breaker.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

maybz
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies. The trailer is stationary parked in my own little bush lot. Currently using 5-40 watt solar panels for charging a series of 3 12 volt batteries. I have never had a 12 volt power failure using any of the 12 volt accessories. just making sure that i will purchase the right converter to power up the a/c for a few hours when needed. I am pretty sure it is running off a 15 amp breaker. I do think i will run new wiring from the batteries to the new converter, when I am spending the time for a new hook up. thanks again

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice upgrade and not that hard to do. The new converters usually have 4 stage charging which is a great improvement.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's what happened to me back in 2008... I replaced my simple 35A ELIXIR single mode converter to a WFCO 8900 series power distribution panel with a WF8945 Power Converter installed in the bottom compartment.

I had to slightly make the ELIXIR hole a little bit larger but all went together pretty well... All of my Romex and 12VDC battery leads all came to this point so it only took about 2 hours to install all of the wiring. The ELIXIR did not have much for cable management so everything was all grouped together behind the chassis using those large yellow twist nuts.. I called that my RATS NEST of wiring haha...

Now I have five slots for 120VAc circuit breakers where I used a full size 30A Main breaker and then eight half size breakers in the remaining four breaker slots... Gives me nine circuit breaker positions now where before I only had two... I wired in all of the 12VDC leads to the new 12V power distribution side and now have eleven 12VDC fuse controlled circuits now...

google image

Since then I have replaced most of 12VDC wiring with what is called BOAT CABLE... Something like this pictorial shows...

Roy's image

All smiles until I found out the WF8945 45 Amp charger would never go into the smart modes it was suppose to do. Tried everything with no good results.. Just having a 13.6VDC charge source will damage your batteries by boiling out fluids... SO I left the WF8945 unit in the bottom compartment and then got a Progressive Dynamics 60A Smart Mode Charger unit PD-9260C. I installed this down stream from the WFCO 8900 series power distribution panel and can control which charger I want to use by flipping a circuit breaker... This will give a back-up in case one of the charger fails... Hated to throw out a brand new WF8945 charger haha... However I don't think I have ever turned it on since installed in 2009...

I love my WFCO WF890 series Power Distribution panel. The WF8945 45 Amp charger in the bottom compartment is where I had my problems...

My large battery bank does the smart charge when needed and have not had any problems with my 12V batteries until around 2014 when they stopped holding a good charge for very long...

I am not using the trailer now for a few years for other issues here but just recently got new GC2 6V Golf Cart batteries and hoping to get back into the camping mode this season with my off-road camper. I have two groups of two GC2 6V batteries in series which are all rated at 215AHs from Battery Plus store... This gives me 12VDC at 430AHs to work with for my battery bank...

I have been charging it with my PD-9260C here at the house and all seems to be fine but takes alittle longer that three hours to charge the bank up from a 50% charge state to a 90% charge state... Its around four hours or so now. I really should get the newer PD 9200 series charger that supports 14.8VDC Boost chariing mode folks are telling me... I might do that later on... But I am not dead in the water using my 14.4VDC boost charging... Just takes alittle longer to charge...

Like everything else, every ones needs are different but this is working for me...

Another neat thing that came with the TORKLIFT Battery box was a 10WATT Solar panel. I am going to get a second identical solar panel for the other end and this will give a good trickle charge during high sun for both of my GC2 6V Batteries in series banks.

Google image

This will fit my trailer tongue welded on rails where my 12V batteries are installed...

Roy's image

Hope this helps with some ideas perhaps...

My camping is 90% off grid...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
http://www.bestconverter.com/9200-148

Call Randy at the link above. He won't steer you wrong.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Single battery 35 is fine. Four batteries would be 80/90 amps. However you may need to upgrade the wire in the charging loop if you go larger than OEM.

Voltage is also important for a fast recharge. Consider a PD-9245-14.8 converter.

http://www.bestconverter.com/9200-148

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
maybz wrote:
I am replacing an allanson D40 brc-e converter in a older Citation trailer. 12 volt side is shot.

I just dont know if i should go 40 amp or larger, as i dont know the actual draw of the air conditioner.

A converter's rating is it's DC rating and has nothing to do with your 120 vac appliances, A/C included.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380