cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

bjsmmns
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures are so helpful...they really get me inspired!

MaxThrust
Explorer
Explorer
newtrail wrote:
nubwon wrote:
Hey Craig, that is our old travel trailer you have there. I hope you got it all fixed up good from Rita's damage. Its good to see that someone is getting more use from her. It was a great trailer for us, I hope she servs you well for many years.......NUB.....

HI NUB Nice to run into to you here. Noticed your handy work I see.
We are having a great time with the TT.
I fixed her up good,take a look. We named her Miss Rita

(click)

Got to run and get ready for some High School Football (Homecoming)
Have a nice weekend.

Craig

Dang...I'm impressed, you did some fine work. It looks pretty intimidating until you had it pulled apart...not to bad a job...but it's that initial tear down...hehehe.
Great work!
Mike :C
My computer beat me at chess, but I beat it at kick boxing!

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
OK, my turn. We have a older, 1984 HR, TT that has the couch at the hitch end of the trailer. At either end of the couch was a top opening storage compartment. Very useful, BUT, could be improved. Plus we didn't have anyplace to sit a drink. Add this together and what we did was this. Cut a 1" board to the length of compartment and just a little under the width. With a hole saw we added a hole about midway, just large enough for a finger, then sanded and stained to match the paneling. With hinges on the couch side, opening away from the wall, we now have covered storage, a place to set drinks and looks a lot better. Hides the clutter. It looks like it should have came that way and I just love it.

The other mod we made was to add cabinets to the TT. They had cabinets over the couch that just had two doors close to the middle. Then cabinets over the dinette. Blank space in-between over the window. My DH added a cabinet the length of that blank space. Build just like the other cabinets. Only problem was no matching doors.To solve this we just took two doors from the bedroom cabinets and hung them on the new one. For the bedroom he made doors to replace the ones we took to the front. They don't match but they are also out of sight. With a little fine tuning they could look better, but what the heck we/I can live with this for a while! The added storage was well worth it and again it really looks like this should have been done when the TT was built.

We also added a storage compartment door to the drivers side. The only outside storage was accessed from the rear of the TT. Very awkward to get anything out of that long narrow space. They are under what was twin beds. So we bought a door, cut into the side of the TT and put the new door in. We were lucky, the door we found just fit in-between the aluminum studs, MUCH better access.

We have done a lot of little things but these are the major improvements we have made.

skippy102162
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread...let's keep bumping! Thanks for all the great ideas folks! 😉

NO BUMPING ALLOWED!!

😉

DH 1959
ME 1962
2 DS home
1 DS college
1 DD college grad living and working in Omaha
2 DS 🙂 2 DDIL 🙂 2 grand babies

2000 Dodge Ram Van 1500
1998 Jayco 12 UD ST
Eureka Tent
Before our current PUP, had a 2005 Jayco Hybrid and a 92 Coleman PUP.

knowles5150
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have pics. Maybe down the road, but here goes.

I have a 87 Fleetwood Lynx, what I have done thus far:

*Replaced taillights

*Pulled out old carpet, put down pergo flooring over old linoleum floor.

*Cut off old bumper, added 30 in deck on the rear, bolted to the frame. I primarily haul my scooter, but it is big enought for firewood or rubbermaid boxes.

*Added a TV shelf and rerouted cable and split it for couch area and bedroom TVs. Installed Antenna booster.

*Removed old non functioning Dometic fridge, and replace with 4.6 cubic foot dorm fridge, raised it 20 inches, giving me another access/storage compartment on the outside.

*Added outside GFCI receptacle on switch for lights.

*fire extinguisher and mount

*Added ladder for bunks

*Intalled shelves in 2 or the 3 closets, givin much more storage out of unused space.

Planning:

*Water Heater replacement to one that runs on 110 AC. Currently only on propane.

*Tongue mounted bike rack.

post edited for language!!

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, it's time to get off my rear and add a few.

My wife really wanted a heated matress pad. That's fine by me since we can keep it cooler in the trailer and I don't fry since each side of the pad has independent controls. I wanted to be able to use it on battery so I bought a 12v ElectroWarmth model. The pad pulls ten amps with both sides on high.

I wasn't going to deal with a cord running across the bedroom so I ran two new lines from the battery (14 gauge). I added fuses holders in each line at an accesable place under the trailer side skirting.

I put one outlet under each side of the bed. This could come in handy for other things too.

After adding cables holders, some velcro plus wire ties, the install was nice and clean, just the way I wanted it.

While I was at it, I also installed a 12v outlet on my battery box so I have easy access to power up front.

That outlet has another fuse holder under the battery cover.

More to follow!

Mike
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 37' bunkhouse

elk_hunter1
Explorer
Explorer
Umm...
One section on each side of the pump....
Sorry for the question. If everyone was as wise as you there would not be any need for this forum.
2000 KZ sportsmen 1701. Very customized. 1993 F250 w/460. almost 200,000 miles. She can still pull.

JaySki
Explorer
Explorer
elk hunter wrote:
I understand how it works. I am looking for info on how to hook it up. Thanks.

Umm...
One section on each side of the pump....

elk_hunter1
Explorer
Explorer
I understand how it works. I am looking for info on how to hook it up. Thanks.
2000 KZ sportsmen 1701. Very customized. 1993 F250 w/460. almost 200,000 miles. She can still pull.

JaySki
Explorer
Explorer
elk hunter wrote:
O.K., I like the water pump silencer. It looks real simple. I don't want to buy the kit, so can someone explain or show the hook up. Why 2 pieces of tubing?
Thanks,
Elk

the flexible hose pieces help to isolate the vibrations and absorb some of the water hammering effect. typically you will find your water pump piped directly into the stiffer PEX tubing. The vibrations will carry into the hose and vibrate against the floor or whatever it is resting on.

elk_hunter1
Explorer
Explorer
O.K., I like the water pump silencer. It looks real simple. I don't want to buy the kit, so can someone explain or show the hook up. Why 2 pieces of tubing?
Thanks,
Elk

everymilesamemo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, as promised a few weeks back, here is the brand new mountain bike rack I had fabricated. Before you all go crying about how heavy it looks, it's total weight is only 50lbs, and with the light weight of our mountain bikes, I figure it evens out compared with a top-rails or similar model.

My only complaint is I had to move the kayaks up and I dont like the way they look right now. The tail ends of the kayaks hung over between the truck and the camper, and would hit while turning. This was built from scrap 2" square stock and a few round bars welded onto the cross member on the top.

It's heavy duty, but hopefully it'll hold up to the test of mileage and years on the road. Plus, it only cost $125 and that includes the steel!!! Cant beat that. I liked the Top-Rails model, but at $500, that's a little out of my budget and it wouldnt bolt on to our frame because of our battery holder.

Bolted onto the a-frame with Grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts

The welder fabricated a little section so the stock would sit level

We still have full access to the propane tanks and bank of batteries

And here you can see how much space we have with the kayaks on

Happy Camping
Pat
www.everymilesamemory.com

Post edited to max picture width of 640 pixels!!

Every Miles A Memory

Photo's of our Travels
When we realize our insignificance in this world,
it some how relieves the pressures from society to succeed
- Cindy Bonish

DesertFunFamily
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff! That's amazing about the damaged trailer.

newtrail
Explorer
Explorer
nubwon wrote:
Hey Craig, that is our old travel trailer you have there. I hope you got it all fixed up good from Rita's damage. Its good to see that someone is getting more use from her. It was a great trailer for us, I hope she servs you well for many years.......NUB.....

HI NUB Nice to run into to you here. Noticed your handy work I see.
We are having a great time with the TT.
I fixed her up good,take a look. We named her Miss Rita

(click)

Got to run and get ready for some High School Football (Homecoming)
Have a nice weekend.

Craig
Craig and Deann,daughter,son
01 Tahoe ( Miss Rita )
99 Dodge Qcab SLT 5.9

nubwon
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just happy to see someone was able to get the trailer and extend it's life. I worked so much overtime after the hurricane, it would have been months or a year before I could have gotten to it. We had to work on the house for almost a year to get everything back in shape. The trailer was in excellent condition before the storm and the majority of damage to it was on the front. I'm glad it didn't end up getting scrapped like so many others. Looks like Craig did an excellent job on the repairs!!!..........NUB......
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

2001 F250 POWER STROKE, PILGRIM 278RL SS, HOME BUILT 5'X 9' TEARDROP