cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

mikedboyd
Explorer
Explorer
EVT0005 wrote:
I second the B/U light mod..

Also going to add some side lighting to see where the tires are and a manual switch to turn them on and off. Right now they come on with the TV reverse lights.

If you buy a 7-pin socket (< $10, like on your truck, but without the mounting bracket) and jump the 'hot' lead to the 'backup' lead, you can just plug your Trailer-to-Truck wire into this when you disconnect from your truck. You will now have the reverse lights without needing to wire in relays, switches, etc. I do the same thing with my running lights, to have them on at night for a nice gentle glow around the trailer, but not too bright.

Link to wiring connector to buy

Link to diagram showing pin locations on connectors

Mike & Tracy Boyd

2013 LaCrosse 318BHS Travel Trailer - Forest River - Prime Time
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab SB DMax/Allison

Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
1996 Jayco 1208KB Popup
then from a 2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS

lookinin
Explorer
Explorer
Got kinda tired of the noisy water pump, so I insulated the box it's mounted in. Plus, I added an accumulator tank to let us get pressurized water without the pump cycling on everytime we opened a tap, especially on night runs.:W

Cheers,
Kevin

On the road again...

StuartW
Explorer
Explorer
Yak Fishin Fool wrote:
StuartW wrote:
stugpanzer wrote:
Ok.....I just talked to a rep from Forest river and yes.....all the cabinets that I want to remove are just screwed in place and are not structural! And.....as long as I don't tear things up, I will not void my warranty! Once I get going on this....I will post photos!
I just did a similar mod last winter in the front bedroom of our Holiday Rambler 26RKS ... except we re-installed full-length 30x80 'half-queen' mattresses, one down either side of the rig, and created a center walkway. Not quite as romantic as a regular queen, but I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'10" so anything less than a full-length mattress gets old fast. We had custom mattresses made with firm support and pillow tops - worth every penny based on our trips so far this year.

You'd be amazed how little structure was actually in the old pedestal. I removed a few long wood screws, pulled out a few staples, and it was history. My new twin support frames are built *much* better and each will have a large drawer on heavy-weight full-extension drawer glides so the under-bed storage is just about doubled.

Here's the modified floorplan :

The only real trick was moving the slider door for the bathroom to the opposite side of the partition, which meant moving the vanity about 3" closer to the shower - fortunately there was room to do this and no plumbing changes were required.

Note: Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum.

Where did you get half queens from? I love this set up. Lot's more room. Scott

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the delay in reply ... I must not have subscribed for notifications on this post. Anyway, we got the mattresses at a local outfit called The Original Mattress Factory. They'll make you any size you want in any firmness you want with or without pillow tops. There was about a 2 week lead time.

The new mattresses are working out great and we really appreciate the extra length plus the room to walk between the beds. Note that the pass-through storage between what is now the foot of each bed acts like a bench for putting your shoes on, etc ... will have to ask the DW to make a custom cushion to go there!

Right now I've just ordered some unfinished cabinet doors and drawer fronts so that I can finish up the new storage drawers (one under each bed) and the revised overhead cabinets across the front of the coach. I've found via other projects in this rig that red oak with a single coat of MinWax Golden Pecan stain plus three coats of spray semi-gloss polyurethane matches the factory wood very closely ...

The storage drawers are 12Hx36Wx24D and are on heavy duty 100# full extension glides. They should hold quite a bit in terms of hiking boots, etc.

The overhead cabinets in the nose had to be shortened a bit (9") on either side (where the useless shirt closets used to be) for more footroom. These are now nice cabinets with two fixed shelves so they're good for sweatshirts, folded jeans, and all other 'real world' camping stuff that never gets put on hangers anyway! I'll post photos when it's all done.

Cheers ...
StuartW
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
CTD HO 4x4 SRW LWB QC / Leer 100XQ cap
2005 HR Savoy SL 26RKS

Wife_nHubby
Explorer
Explorer
The 'tick, tick, tick, tick, tick' from our stove fan hook vent flapping in the breeze was really bothering me. I made a teeny, tiny ball of the tacky tape (like you use to hang posters on the wall) and stuck it to the bottom of the vent frame. No more 'ticking' noises and vent still functions as it should.

Shari
Wisconsin - the best place to be!

7happycampers
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if these qualify as 'Cool Mods' but they work for me.

First we installed a Blue Streak Chemical dispenser to the toilet.

Second: Added a Barker Power Tongue Jack...no more cranking...YAY!!!

And Finally got around to installing a receiver hitch to the back of the trailer for our bike rack.

Kevin & Crew
Kevin

Jenny Our Angel Remembering Jenny
Abbie (Rescued Treeing Walker Coonhound)
Guido (Rescued Italian Greyhound)Remembering Guido
Kendall (Rescued Border Collie)
Piper (Rescued Border Collie)
My dog isn't spoiled..........He just smells that way.

allenhpycmprs
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a brass drain valve in my 01 TT water heater when new.
Now I just got a new TT with a anode rod in the water heater, and I wanted the same kind of drain valve, after a search I found this
Anode Rod with drain valve problem solved!!
2011 Ram Hemi 4x4
2012 Denali 261BH

mtkbuckeye
Explorer
Explorer
mxsjw wrote:
Dryrot found in the rear, turned into a nice new Wilsonart HD laminate shower.
Not fun, but I sure like the way it turned out.

That looks very very nice.
2005 Salem
2004 Ford Excursion Limited 6.0L 4x4 Diesel

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

mxsjw
Explorer
Explorer
Dryrot found in the rear, turned into a nice new Wilsonart HD laminate shower.
Not fun, but I sure like the way it turned out.

2003 Layton Skyline 196LT
2007 Toyota Tundra

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Triathlete wrote:
snip......All of these things add weight. Are there concerns about exceeding the posted weight limits of the trailer?

Yes. Anytime a modification is made one should always consider the impact to the integrity of the RV, along with towing characteristics. If a modification is going to add "notable" weight, a trip to the CAT scales should be part of the modification as well (check WD adjustments, weights, etc.).

Turk2500

Triathlete
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great forum! And, I haven't even read them all yet. I am not nearly as talented or creative as those who have made the mods, but would sure like to have a few of them. There is one question. Many if not most are to find extra storage space be it in a cupboard, carrying a generator or making a bike rack. All of these things add weight. Are there concerns about exceeding the posted weight limits of the trailer?

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
ctpres wrote:
snarfattack wrote:
ctpres wrote:
campin4kids wrote:
ctpres, a picture would help.

Yes I agree . But I am a 70 year old techie and I really find the picture posting here older than me. When it gets brought up to date I'll post lots of pistures. I really think there is no use in posting pictures off the site in todays world. Just a SWAG but about 10% of the pictures I look at are gone. Sorry if my words didn't get it done.
For my double door Dometic-visualize a 1/2" inch thick piece of wood between the doors with a block nailed on each end. You can slide it closer to the hinges or latch to adjust the opening.

Really? I like their policy. Reduces their cost as they don't have to pay for the bandwidth of your pictures. Even better than that, I retain the publishing rights to my pictures as I can take them down anytime simply by changing my photo account or moving my server. Sounds like you just want a reason to be a cranky 70 year old who doesn't want to change with the times.

Signed, a 30 something year-old techie...

Now we know who is stopping improvements at rv.net. Most of us are just interested in sharing ideas and having a little fun . Most of us are not interested in making money off our efforts on the forum.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
snarfattack wrote:
ctpres wrote:
campin4kids wrote:

Yes I agree . But I am a 70 year old techie and I really find the picture posting here older than me. When it gets brought up to date I'll post lots of pistures. I really think there is no use in posting pictures off the site in todays world. Just a SWAG but about 10% of the pictures I look at are gone. Sorry if my words didn't get it done.
For my double door Dometic-visualize a 1/2" inch thick piece of wood between the doors with a block nailed on each end. You can slide it closer to the hinges or latch to adjust the opening.

Really? I like their policy. Reduces their cost as they don't have to pay for the bandwidth of your pictures. Even better than that, I retain the publishing rights to my pictures as I can take them down anytime simply by changing my photo account or moving my server. Sounds like you just want a reason to be a cranky 70 year old who doesn't want to change with the times.

Challenger Owners Club

2014 Ford Fiesta
2009 Polaris RZR

snarfattack
Explorer
Explorer
ctpres wrote:
campin4kids wrote:

1999 Jayco Eagle 304BH
2003 Chevy Suburban 1500

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
campin4kids wrote:

Challenger Owners Club

2014 Ford Fiesta
2009 Polaris RZR

jeffmarshall911
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
texashornsfan wrote:
ScottandCathy wrote:
I will be converting my electrical cord to a detachable style.(Conversion kit) For those of you that have done this conversion, anything tricky I should be aware of??

I'm looking at this also as I'm concerned about critters climbing onboard through the electrical portal. Any thoughts?

Steel wool in the hole. I can't see spending that kind of money on the conversion kit.

The kit is as easy as it says. I did it simply as I liked the advantage of taking off my power cord and stowing it elsewhere rather than stuffing it. It's also seals the hole from bugs, rodents or errant kids looking for a place for their trash.

/Jeff