cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash cam

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
Has any one installed an SCobra HD front and rear view camera?
Where and how did you i stalle the rear view one?
How do you like it?
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd
10 REPLIES 10

csh_2088
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oops, wrong thread.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Garmin Nuvicam and matching BC30 backup/reverse camera. I like this model because it's a GPS, dashcam and backup cam in one unit. The backup cam is wireless but the transmitter is separate from the camera itself so it can be moved closer (mine's mounted to front wall of the camper).

I have had no issues with reception but the camera is too fisheye for my tastes so it can't see very far behind you and not so good for depth perception.

I wired mine to the Reverse wire in the 7-way bundle so it switches to camera when i shift into reverse. I also ran a wire from my upfitter switch so that I can manually turn it on as well.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
Sidecarflip
Please le me have The model name and no
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2003 everest 323k

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gaetan wrote:
I would like to install. The rear view camera at The rear of the truck camper to use it to see who is behind and as a backup camera, the only problem is the wire....
Gaetan

Mine was a Christmas gift a few years ago but If I was purchasing one it would be wireless. I don't need or want any more wires than I already have between the TC and the truck and something more to plug in and unplug and eventually corrode and quit working.... The wireless is painless to install and at least mine works flawlessly. In fact, I can set the camper off and have the truck 40 feet from the camper and I can still view the image behind the camper. It's in color (not that it matters), the housing is weatherproof and it's equipped with infrared sensors so it works just as well at night as it does in the daytime. Mine has a small red telltale light that tells you it's powered up too.

I use it to gauge how close tailgaters are and if someone is about to pass me without depending on the side mirrors and backing into a campsite. I can get right up to a picnic table without bumping it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see much issue with running the wire on camper.
Get white wire and if you have ladder close to the center, you can run it on it, than I drilled hole in the aluminium bumper to go under the camper and then you can go all the way up front.
On most of vehicles the wire goes easy behind door gaskets and even if few inches is visible going over the trim, that seldom bother anybody.

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to install. The rear view camera at The rear of the truck camper to use it to see who is behind and as a backup camera, the only problem is the wire....
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2003 everest 323k

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Cobra front and rear dash cam. Front cam mounted up under rear view mirror. Just could not figure a clean way to get the cable to the back window. So I just use only the front camera. There is some benefit to having the rear cam. But not enough to me to install it.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i know it's not what you asked,but are you considering upgrading your sound system in the near future? most double din head units have front/rear camera inputs in them.a nice 7 inch or bigger screen with a decent camera makes a huge difference.i can move my cameras from my truck to my camper very easily. i like to see my boat as i'm rolling down the highway so i wired the rear camera to a switch so i can turn it on without being in reverse.and the front camera is super handy if you have a winch or winch bumper that sticks out a couple feet or a front mount hitch carrier and are tying to park in a parking lot.you can switch cameras on the head unit with a push of the button,or touchscreen.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Costco had pre Christmas sale on Cobra dual channels with Bluetooth so I bought it for our sedan.
I had other cameras before and when cheap were annoying, I found you need higher -resolution if you want to read licence plates. That might not be very crucial in most of the incidents, but can become important sometimes.
Bluetooth gives the camera my location from android and that is very helpful, while Cobra iRadar app is giving you some more option and actually displays routing the way I like it without telling you where to turn for no reason.
I only wish the camera had a screen bigger than 2" as it could also be used as a backup camera.
Lot of choices on the market, but again, don't go cheap on it as it will become more of nuisance than a tool.
BTW I have very good 360 factory cameras on my Ford truck for parking, but so far no way to hack into the system for traffic recording.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
My truck was built before cams were in existence (1997) but I added a Furrion wireless rear cam with in cab screen and I like it just fine. Was a Christmas present 2 years ago and has worked flawlessly and it has park assist too. Real handy for backing up.

I would never consider a front view cam, I have eyes for that task.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB