cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do RV park hookups have home outlets or just 30A plugs only?

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new at this obviously. The AC generating power center in my Lance took a dump, which I could honestly care less about as I was rewiring the whole thing to run off a battery bank with solar anyway (which it is now and is awesome). But I've lost my 30A 'shoreline' hookup for power as a result. Since it was all hardwired, I went ahead and just cut the cable and replaced it with a good 12GA standard electrical cord I can pull out and hookup to a home's power. The 3-way splitter on the other end inside gets the cables swapped over to it that are currently plugged into the inverter.

Do any RV parks with hookups have these standard connections as well or is it only the large 30A connections? I'm fully self-contained, but it'd be nice to plug in and run the AC for more than an hour a day...
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread
21 REPLIES 21

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sentinelist wrote:
the AC draws 1600w at full tilt.
Don't forget the start-up surge of the AC. It's quite possible the cord, or the smaller 20a blades, and/or the pedestal won't handle it. And if they do, they might not handle it 100s of times.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV campgrounds have 15,30 & 50 amp service.

Don't suppose you have any pictures of your defunct power center and replacement set-up?
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, folks. Always quick and knowledgable responses here! Glad to hear I may be in luck. Putting the 30A plug back on is a no-go, as I literally cut it off, since my power center is dead that it was hardwired to. Not to mention it's incompatible with the inverter setup I have now. Good to know about the adaptors, and I've seen inline surge protectors- I may look at getting one of these so I don't get anything zapped. It sounds like an inline 20A breaker would be a good idea. If I can find one that happens to have handy 3-prong outlets in/out (male/female), that would be perfect...

The 12GA cord I'm using is rated for 1875w, and the AC draws 1600w at full tilt. It would be switched over to fan-only (120w) or turned off to briefly run the microwave (1000w) or coffee maker (650w), but the tiny TV sips on DC power and the fridge would be running off propane. Seems perfectly doable as I've designed, unless I've missed something. This isn't a giant Class-A or anything. 🙂 Just need the basics going here and there.
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I carry several T-bone adapters, available at most RV parts stores. 50Amp male to 30 Female, then a 30 amp male to a 20 amp female and since I only have a 30 amp cord on my Lance TC, I have a 20 amp male to 30 amp female one also. These cover all the situations I run into, so far. I find some of the rural private campgrounds I like in Canada only have 20 amps as some are running their own generators for power at the roadhouse, etc.

If I plug my 30 amp power cord into a 50 amp plug in, using one of the adapters, if I overload it, it just pops my main 30 amp breaker and so I am protected. A 20 amp main cord would do the same if you have a 20 amp main breaker on your TC. I run my AC, a 13.5K BTU unit on a house 20 amp circuit without problems, but that is a full load other than a few lights supplied by the inverter/charger.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Em, you do know that the conventional 15amp 120 plug is not rated for running the A/C, well, plus the converter and anything else. By "not rated" I mean it will may melt (yes I have seen that)

If you tried the A/C, plus converter, plus TV you would probably pop the breaker.

Me, I would put the 30-TT plug back on, and use a 30to15 converter to plug into regular outlets.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes many have a GFCI 5-20 connector but not all. 30/15 adapter or 50/15 adapter would also work but you should have some sort of over current protection if an adapter is used.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sentinelist wrote:
Do any RV parks with hookups have these standard connections as well or is it only the large 30A connections? I'm fully self-contained, but it'd be nice to plug in and run the AC for more than an hour a day...
Most do have 20a sockets, but running your air from it may not work so great.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman