cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need to sanitize a water tank that's never been used?

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys I've seen videos online about sanitizing your fresh water tank in a travel trailer using a little bleach and water. Is this necessary if your fresh water tank has never once been used? I do not plan on drinking the water, just plan on using it for the sink, toilet and possibly the shower. The fresh water tank has never been used in this trailer and it is a 2018 model. Thanks for any info.
22 REPLIES 22

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
To sanitize or not to sanitize is totally your call, we sanitized our FW tank initially after purchase but for the most part we use FW tank for dishes, showers, and toilet use. We prefer bottled water for personal consumption and bring a couple of gallons of RO water from home for cooking.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it makes you feel better go for it but since you say it's "never been used once", I'm assuming a brand new trailer and it really isn't needed.

I might fill and then pull the drain plug in case any dust go inside but unless you have reason to believe it was contaminated, I really wouldn't worry about it.

We've also never bothered to sanitize our fresh water tank...and WE DO DRINK FROM IT. Been doing it 4-8months of travel per year for the last 12yrs and on vacations for the last 50yrs. Never had any issues.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
……. We never bothered to sanitize our freshwater tank! Reason is that we DO NOT DRINK from the tank. Rather we bring containers of drinking water with us ( using a 5 gallon blue jug & also we reuse empty juice bottles filled with good local water. )… Has worked well for us for years!…

Y-Guy
Even right off the factory line I'd still sanitize it, but sitting since 2018 I'd be even more inclined to do it.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes do the whole system,you don,t know whats crawled in there.I do mine couple times a year,it don,t get used much.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Do you know the history of the tank prior to being put in your RV?
I assume not, In which case making sure it is clean and sanitized is a good idea.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you use dishes when you get them home from store, or do you wash them first?
I would sanitize it. OTOH, I don't wash dishes in water I would not drink.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be a good idea to sanitize it.