When I go camping I like to fish.
When I camp & fish, I like to drink beer![img][/img]
42 REPLIES 42

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoFish wrote:
Colliehauler

Be care full of the weight capacity of the 5th wheel.
I used to do that when I lived in TN, legal there, but not in VA.
I had a 27 foot 5th wheel with double axles. When I towed a boat with a single axle it worked OK. Then I got a new boat with double axles. It did not worked out as both trailers we fighting each other as I traveled across bumps. When the 5th wheeler went up, the boat tried to keep it down. I broke a rear leaf spring on the 5th wheeler and overloaded the rear axle. Took the tow in out of the axle, had to be replaced.
I would not do it again unless I had a tire pressure monitor and a wireless rear camera so I could keep an eye on the boat.
The small 5er I'm looking at has plenty of excess capacity and the pontoon boat is not that large and light. The rear camera is a excellent idea and will be used. I still have to downsize to make this happen.

GeoFish
Explorer
Explorer
Colliehauler

Be care full of the weight capacity of the 5th wheel.
I used to do that when I lived in TN, legal there, but not in VA.
I had a 27 foot 5th wheel with double axles. When I towed a boat with a single axle it worked OK. Then I got a new boat with double axles. It did not worked out as both trailers we fighting each other as I traveled across bumps. When the 5th wheeler went up, the boat tried to keep it down. I broke a rear leaf spring on the 5th wheeler and overloaded the rear axle. Took the tow in out of the axle, had to be replaced.
I would not do it again unless I had a tire pressure monitor and a wireless rear camera so I could keep an eye on the boat.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I plan on pulling a small pontoon behind a smaller 5th wheel. First I have to sell my large 5th wheel. My original plan was to pull it behind my small TT but the state I would use it most requires it to be a 5th wheel.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10ft inflatable that I Carry rolled up when I go I assemble it by backing up to the picnic table at the campsite Roll onRoll off

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
plasticmaster wrote:
This was our Spring Break trip to Florida Keys a few years ago.

I like the caravan more. With my luck, a boat in the truck bed would probably end up trolling on the Interstate. ๐Ÿ˜„

What's not shown in the picture are the straps I use to strap the jon boat into the truck bed. I use ratchet straps and secure it very well.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
plasticmaster wrote:
This was our Spring Break trip to Florida Keys a few years ago.

I like the caravan more. With my luck, a boat in the truck bed would probably end up trolling on the Interstate. ๐Ÿ˜„
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a pic of my wife's car with boat and my truck and our old camper. This was our Spring Break trip to Florida Keys a few years ago.

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled from SC to Florida Keys many times with a boat. I pull camper and wife pulls 18' fish/ski boat. Her previous car wasn't capable of pulling the boat, so we took our 12' jon boat instead. I would load it in back of truck with a spacer on top of tailgate that provided needed clearance between bow of boat and front of camper. 4hp outboard rode under boat against closed tailgate. We traveled to the Keys many times this way and always got lots of funny stares and comments. Here's a pic.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
That could pose a problem;

Generic Photo
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
ADK Camper wrote:
We often camp in the Adirondacks where there is undoutably some of the best canoeing to be found anywhere. There are lots of lakes, ponds, rivers and streams to explore. We always bring our canoe there. It's difficult to get it on top of the truck, but nonetheless worth the effort.

I portage mine onto the roof of my truck.

Canoe on the shoulders, two step ladder at the tailgate and up I go. When I meet the cab.....I slide the canoe off my shoulders onto the roof rack.
It's not easy but my 90 year old Dad can't help anymore.
16' cedar canvas canoe....90lbs.

When I go with Nobette...we bring a standup paddle board and a kayak.

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
Geofish I was showing my friend who has same 14ft Lund as you also with a trailer how you load the trailer right into the truck. That is very convenient and allows you to have a larger motor on the boat too. Biggest problem I have is it's tough to be carrying around an engine much bigger then a 9.9. My setup works for me and allows for more utilization of the truck box but your way is far superior thanks for sharing.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
We go to Lake Hartwell for 2 weeks each year with family. We usually have our Boston Whaler Montauk 17, 8โ€™ sailing dinghy, and 3 kayaks. The lake is only 2 1/2 hours from home, so we tote the boats with another truck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GeoFish
Explorer
Explorer

This is my old setup. The key for me was the boat trailer that dissembled and went into the back of my pickup.

GeoFish
Explorer
Explorer
welove2drive wrote:
GeoFish wrote:

I like your style. Here is mine. Is your store bought or did you put it together yourself? I made mine but its not as elaborate.
Hope this works out, I tried to resize on photobucket but it would not load for me. Forgive me if the size is wrong.

Dirtpig

Nice set up, that,s how I used to do it. It worked, but was a lot of work, now that I am middle age, I needed an easier setup. My is store bought. Looks like we do the same off the grid camping.[img][/img]