cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down to 3 choices

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I still have to sell my Toy Hauler but I've narrowed down to three choices and all three have about the same floor plan. We are looking for a single slide dry bath. So that means Adventurer 910DB, Lance 975, and Arctic Fox 992.

We have a Ford F-150 LB. Just Kiding! 2011 Ram 3500 LB DRW crew cab 4X4. There will be dry camping and towing a built 2016 Rubicon on a car Hauler. Gen is mandatory and so is AC.

Really leaning toward the Lance but wanted opinions. I think due to pay load any of the double slides are out of the question as that would max the truck out and towIng might be an issue. Any other single slides I should look at? The misses says at least 1 slide is mandatory, although she wants two.

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Without an extension, your Rubicon on the trailer is going to add 660# to the rear axle. So with an extension, you can figure it is going to be closer to 690#. This assumes just the jeep and trailer, not much gear or spares stacked on it.

Quick look at the floor plans and I'll rule out the Adventurer 910DB because there isn't hardly any storage down in the main floor. Putting all the gear up by the bed isn't convenient, especially on those mornings when your wife wants to sleep in but you want to hit the trails early to beat the rush.

TCM wet weights for the other two are AF992 @ 4,900 and Lance 975 @ 4425. But since the AF comes with more standard features, the weight is probably going to be much closer than the numbers show. Both of those campers are well built so it basically comes down to the floor plans.

In floor plans, I have to give my nod to the AF because of the smaller sink but larger floor space of the bathroom. After all, do you really need a large sink space in the bathroom?

With the weight, figuring about 6,200# total, you will need to at least have a heavy duty rear sway bar and probably air bags to be happy with the ride. May also want to think about an equalizer hitch for the trailer which will help transfer the tongue weight off the rear axle.

By the way, I use to haul a built CJ-8. Then I finally realized wheelin was fun, but just camping was relax. Enjoy your adventurers.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)