Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drivers windows does not work, electric windows

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
A 2002 Chev Silverado 2500HD LT trim.
I am guessing it must be the switch. Job wise is it fairly simple?

Looked at a youtube video and it looks as if it may take a while but but is doable even for a semi klutz.....
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
8 REPLIES 8

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Never ever had a problem with any window motor or switch on my GM's. For me and others I know it has been a broken wire inside the rubber boot between the door and the body, wires travel from the body to the door and after opening and closing the door a million times the wires work harden and break.

With the key on try holding the window switch in the direction you want it to go and open/close the door, sometimes if the wire is holding on by a strand you might get some movement out of the window for a split second, its worth a try.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Good money is going to be on the motor and not the switch. Could be the switch but not likely.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I think those switch pods have a plastic arm with a barbed catch on each end. One end may have two of the clips, CRS. I usually lift one end with a putty knife while trying to keep it tilted downward toward the bottom of the arm and applying pressure to push the clips barb so it will clear the hole. Slipping something like a pencil under the putty knife for a fulcrum helps.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it several times and can tell you it is not as simple as the videos make it seem. Most things inside the door are attached with rivets so plan on drilling them out. Working space is very tight and at times you wish you had a little kid to reach in some the the places that you might need to access. As mentioned, check voltages at the switch and motor etc, before you begin removing anything. Generally, there are not separate fuses for each window, just one for all. It is doable, but pretty involved, especially your first time.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Another question I should have asked.....Would there be a separate fuse for each window switch????? Because NO, I did not check the fuse because three windows work.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I know people who swear by De-Ox-It, which not just works as contact cleaner, but prevents future corrosion from happening.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
From the video I watched it looks like a very easy job. Gently pry off the window switch pod, using a plastic trim tool (if you don't want to damage it).

Then check the switch using a volt/ohm meter to check the power coming to the switch (with key on). If power is found then check the switch and window motor using the ohm function and replace the bad part.

If no power is found then you will need to take it to a shop to find out what is wrong. The fact that you asked this question means you should stop at this point.

BTW I'm assuming you have already checked the fuse right :W .

Good luck Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
It could be the switch, but my experience with GM windows is that it is more likely either corroded contacts or a bad motor. Before getting a motor, you'll have to follow most of the instructions in the video and clean all the contacts you can find. I think Radio Shack still has contact cleaner. There are some good videos online about cleaning these types of contacts. If you do end up replacing the motor its fairly easy but be careful not to break the white plastic retainers that hold part of the door panel on. Also be prepared to get cuts while getting the new motor in place. There's not a lot of room to work inside doors.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)