cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Failed to consider the size of the Portable Dump tank..

OhioRVMom
Explorer
Explorer
yes. Yes I did. Was talking to DH about having a tank so we had an option for sites without sewer but with a dump station on grounds. Worried about dumping a full tank into a portable holding tank and having it overflow.

Here's where we got into trouble. DH says "That is why you get a portable tank that is the same size or BIGGER than the tank on the RV".

OK. The tank on the Travel Trailer is 42 Gallons. Now I didn't think about this. Granted. NO. NO I did not. In my mind, in hindsight, I think I was picturing maybe a TEN gallon tank.

The box arrived today. It's nearly as tall as I am :E We haven't taken it out of the box yet. I know it's heavy. AND, I am beginning to question the decision to get such a LARGE tank. Storing it will be no easy feat. I am assuming it will be an easy thing to hook to the ball of the truck and drag to the dump station when needed, and I am sure having one like this would be great in times of need. AM tempted to leave the thing at home except when knowingly going to sites without sewer. Of One thing I am sure. 42 GALLONS is a HECK of a lot More than I had envisioned.

In hind sight, I am understanding why these things have bobbers on them that will indicate when full. Seems simple enough. it starts to get full, you turn off the flow. Haul off the tank and repeat (if you have a smaller one).

So. What think you all. Should we bite the bullet and send back this monstrosity? Get a smaller one? we'll have to pay for shipping to return it since it was our mistake (oh hurray).

Did I mention it was Huge? just in case I forgot. It's HUGE..

83 REPLIES 83

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 30 gallon which is just to big. I should have bought the 15. I try not to fill it all the way as its just to heavy and sometimes cannot back up the TV to get near due to site restrictions. Mine has the ring that goes over the ball and wheels so I just tow it. I open the vent and cycle the dump valves, gray last before disconnect and check the weight if I cant hitch it up. Otherwise 30 gallons of kick apoy joy juice, weighs in at around 240#. Fortunately I only have to do this once or twice a year as we are conservative while dry camping and take navy showers.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have a 32 gallon tote more then enough to empty my grey tank with a few gallon reserve.

It is very heavy when almost full. So I installed a small winch (Harbor Freight $20) in bed of truck.

Winch has a remote and I use two 2 x 6 boards I take for leveling anyway to make a ramp.

Use the winch to pull tote into bed and then drive pickup to dump station stand up tank.

I added straps (motorcycle tie downs) around tank to hook winch onto. I did not like using plastic handle on tank to load.

I use a short dump hose and gravity is a wonderful thing.

Easy peasey takes me about 15 minutes.

(BONUS) Winch also handy for help loading 4 wheeler or any other heavy item in truck.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
docnascar wrote:
*Wanted to add. Can't recall if this was brought up, but consider the ground clearance of your campers dump valves to the height of the tank. If its a no thrills portable tote, you don't want it to backflow from the portable tank when disconnecting the hose. Leave room to disconnect and dump the hose contents into the portable tank. Remember there will be left over water in the hose to deal with.

i was actually thinking this when considering one of these totes. My dump valves are pretty low, and I'm a little concerned how that would work out, anyone have a bad experience due to low dump valves?
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an 18 gallon which is just slightly larger than half the size of my grey tank. I make two trips, and I refuse to put black water in it. Keeps things slightly cleaner that way.

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
*Wanted to add. Can't recall if this was brought up, but consider the ground clearance of your campers dump valves to the height of the tank. If its a no thrills portable tote, you don't want it to backflow from the portable tank when disconnecting the hose. Leave room to disconnect and dump the hose contents into the portable tank. Remember there will be left over water in the hose to deal with.
Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
This is a good thread. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Like others have said. It depends on you and what you feel you need.

We like to be clean and take showers. Usually when we go camping for a week, the grey fills up fast because of our habbits. As well, there have been plenty of weekend trips where the grey has filled up too fast from showering. (Lots of sweating, getting dirty while playing in woods, etc...) Drove me crazy.

We went camping with a buddy who had a 12g tote. He uses it just for his grey. He let me borrow it and it worked great. Is it perfect? No. Do I care? No. Can I put it in my truck by myself? Yes! I just purchased one. It will get plenty of use and I will care a little less about how much water the wife uses now. (Until she starts filling the campers grey tank daily :W)

Usually the black will make it through a week. (Its only two of us.) Would I use it for my black? Hmmmmm... I'm not sure. I may just drag the camper to the dump station then to do both tanks. I'll never say never. It can be cleaned out. (Its funny, makes me think of when we first bought the camper. We said no #2 in the camper. That rule was broken on the first camping trip. :B )

I probably could have got a 18-25 gallon portable and just drag it around to my hitch. For me I don't want to do that. 12g at 96+ pounds, if full, is enough to drag through leaves, brush, and stumps.
Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
:R
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
You guys are funny but I do think everyone gets my point. Opinions are one thing everyone has one of those.
But when someone comments "You won't be able to move it".:h
It becomes obvious they don't own the product and there opinions reflect the fact that they have no idea how it works.:S

As far as the Last Supper. I imagine some of you would take/believe DaVinci's account of the last supper over one of the Apostles that were actually there.:B
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
2012Coleman wrote:
Lantley wrote:
This post is sort of amusing because it illustrates how many who have never experienced or used the exact item first hand are commenting on what they think it would be like vs.giving real first hand accounts.
Those that actually own a 42 gallon tote have no issues with weight or moving the tote around. Those who have never used a 42 gallon tote are commenting on what the think it would be like.

So what your saying is don't give advice or opinions without having experience using or having the actual item - don't give advice based on what you have learned with a similar item, or drawn from the experiences of other discussions you have read. Correct??

So I find it kind of interesting that on this thread on slide out toppers, you feel qualified to give the following advice:

Lantley wrote:
While they do keep the sun and debris off the slide. They also flap in the wind, a pool water in the rain.
You can add beach balls to control the flapping and pooling but in the end toppers create as many issues as they resolve.
For the cost I prefer not to have them.

OP asked for opinions, and received plenty of great responses. Kind of fits with the purpose of this whole discussion board - oh IMO of course...

First off I was confused. I'm thinking wow that post is from an entirely different thread. But I get it now. I initially thought I posted the response from one thread into another. But I see someone else did it for me.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

PAAK
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Smart Tote from Thetford and it is 27 gallons. To me, the size is perfect, when boondocking with DW and son, on a 4 day trip I only need to dump gray water towards the end to finish last day showers. It is not to big and not to small. You have to see what your needs really are by trial and error. I leanred what I needed this way.
2011 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel
2011 Creek Side 23RKS

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:
GMandJM wrote:

Leonardo da Vinci didn't personally attend The Last Supper, but I certainly appreciate his opinion of what it looked like. :C

He didn't???? I thought that was a photograph!

Were it a photo, Leonardo would have likely used a Selfie Stick and we'd see him with two fingers up making bunny ears (or devil's horns) behind Judas' head. :B

Anyway, sorry to go all OT....couldn't resist.

(EDIT: FIPO, not an advert nor an endorsement of any specific belief or credo.)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 42 gal. and love it. Very useful for our showers we prefer taking in our own space. Ours goes in the back up pickup and dh has no trouble pulling it the short distance between dump valve on tt and hitch on tv.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a 42 gallon tote and LOVE it. However, our situation is a little different. We own a lot in a private campground with water and electricity but no sewer. We have two 38 gallon gray tanks and a 38 gallon black tank. When we first purchased the lot, we had a small tote and my poor hubby would spend a couple hours dumping the tanks (and we didn't shower in our FW because of it). Now, we make three trips which take about half an hour. He pulls the tote and hooks it up to our quad or truck and off we go. And the tote has rubber wheels which is great for the gravel roads of our campground.

When we had the smaller tote and traveled, we kept it in the bathtub. Not sure where you could put the 42 gallon one though.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Lantley wrote:
This post is sort of amusing because it illustrates how many who have never experienced or used the exact item first hand are commenting on what they think it would be like vs.giving real first hand accounts.

Leonardo da Vinci didn't personally attend The Last Supper, but I certainly appreciate his opinion of what it looked like. :C

He didn't???? I thought that was a photograph!
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH