cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Ranger and Bronco coming to the U.S. By 2018

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Even though fuel prices have fallen through the floor, the demand for the Global Ranger and now a new Bronco has been so great Ford is thinking of kicking off in 2018 and building these in the U.S. No it is not a Renault
I wonder if a Troll will appear later in the posts?
Compact-pickup buyers began pining for a new version of the venerable Ford Ranger as soon as the robots welded the trucks’ final frames four years ago, and you can count us among that lot. Now, according to anonymous big mouths in the Detroit News, Ford is not only planning to bring the global-market Ranger to America, but wants to build it in Michigan

Bronco and Ford Ranger to be built in Michigan
26 REPLIES 26

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
thomasgunnar wrote:

I had a 66, 81 and currently have two 79's.

Great looking 79 Bronco. I recently helped a friend get his 78 F150 back on the road after being parked for several years. His is a 351M. I really enjoy wrenching on old vehicles - much more fun than plugging a new one into a computer.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Over the years I have owned a 1972, 1974 and 1978 Broncos and a 1997 Ranger.

Wouldn't mind having an updated version of either one.

Well, let me clarify that. Updated Bronco NOT based on that POS Bronco II

Long time until 2018.

I had a 66, 81 and currently have two 79's.

Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
No where does the article state that the Ranger will be built in Michigan, nor does it state it will be the 2018 model year............

Murderator is smelling a troll thank you very much!

marty

I think it was on the news some time ago as to the location, that being in wayne Michigan at the old ford truck plant.

A link was given to the quote part in a later post. BUT, as I noted, the quote part was a different article! Not in the original link! And given later when OP was called out......

If one is going to put a quote into a post, at least make it such that we can find the quote if also linking an article! Pretty simple no matter the subject matter IMHO!

Even still, there are probably a lot of us that would like to see an older sized Ranger be back in the market.....Especially one that gets upper 20 to low 30 mpg that a 76 toyota and 86 S-10 that I had got. Yeah they did not tow much more than 2000 lbs......Not sure I bought or had either of them to tow in reality. More a can I carry 1000 lbs of stuff in the bed, move two people with the toyota. The S-10 was could I get my twin sons car seats in the cab, myself and still shift the floor mounted gear shift......Reverse seated no less when less than 24 months old!

I would like one today frankly! 22-24mpg in a toyota tacoma with a 4 banger is imho horrible for a truck of that size. Should be at least 25hwy 30 freeway. They also weigh a heck of a lot more than my old rigs wiegh. Both were less than 3000 lbs, reality closer to 2500 lbs!

JMHO not that it counts for anything in the scheme of things.....

marty

Global Ranger is already delivering those figures in U.S. Gallons ( converted) Now lack of a Bronco I can understand as FCA is pushing Jeep in a big way Globally. To add to the Rangers impact a Bronco to take on Jeep in the U.S. Would be preferable. The Everest will sell outside NA

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The global Ranger is close to the size of a F150. I don't see a need for it in the pickup line - They would be better off making a Flex pickup. A new Bronco based off the global Ranger might be a better SUV than the current Explorers yet not take away from Expeditions...

Everyone thought it had to br a lot smaller than the F150, but Ford's research suggested that was not the case. People want a more " manageable " Pickup and that is why they Ford are wanting the Gzlobal Ranger built in the U.S.

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
I should believe American press because why?!?!?!
Not sure any of the stations have told the real truth in a couple of decades or more.
Then there was the, GM was going to have a V8 cat motor in 2001+ model year pickups....we all know what motor is in GM pickups do we not?

I'll see it when I believe it!

Marty

Oh I dun no blt2ski, many of those videos comparing this and that truck going up and down hills n dales seem truthful enough... or not? They have one with all 3 majors racing up a grade, one showing a Ram instrument panel and the oil gauge reading zero pressure, as it races(or not)no mention as to why it was reading zero. Perhaps it was a fault no one saw or maybe truck was tampered with. Who knows as to why, believe or not? Or why do they test trucks with different loads, axel ratings or series 2500/250 vs 3500/350 vs 3500/450.... so on. A lot of posters here, hang off the results of these comparison tests... especially done by supposed unbiased human testers or, possibly deep pocketed manufactures?
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

blt2ski
tomman58 wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
No where does the article state that the Ranger will be built in Michigan, nor does it state it will be the 2018 model year............

marty

I think it was on the news some time ago as to the location, that being in wayne Michigan at the old ford truck plant.

A link was given to the quote part in a later post. BUT, as I noted, the quote part was a different article! Not in the original link! And given later when OP was called out......

If one is going to put a quote into a post, at least make it such that we can find the quote if also linking an article! Pretty simple no matter the subject matter IMHO!

Even still, there are probably a lot of us that would like to see an older sized Ranger be back in the market.....Especially one that gets upper 20 to low 30 mpg that a 76 toyota and 86 S-10 that I had got. Yeah they did not tow much more than 2000 lbs......Not sure I bought or had either of them to tow in reality. More a can I carry 1000 lbs of stuff in the bed, move two people with the toyota. The S-10 was could I get my twin sons car seats in the cab, myself and still shift the floor mounted gear shift......Reverse seated no less when less than 24 months old!

I would like one today frankly! 22-24mpg in a toyota tacoma with a 4 banger is imho horrible for a truck of that size. Should be at least 25hwy 30 freeway. They also weigh a heck of a lot more than my old rigs wiegh. Both were less than 3000 lbs, reality closer to 2500 lbs!

JMHO not that it counts for anything in the scheme of things.....

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:

marty

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
The new Ford Bronco needs to body on frame, rear wheel drive, and most importantly have a removable top or soft top to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. Just another SUV will fail but a legitimate off-road Bronco like we all came to love will thrive. Hell I'll buy one just to have as a third vehicle and weekend joy ride.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rather see that 'concept bronco' vs yet another suv

The 1966 thru 1977 were some great off road/daily drivers

The larger 1978/79 were good off road better daily drivers
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bedlam
The global Ranger is close to the size of a F150. I don't see a need for it in the pickup line - They would be better off making a Flex pickup. A new Bronco based off the global Ranger might be a better SUV than the current Explorers yet not take away from Expeditions...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I see a market for the Ranger. Less so for the Bronco. Ford already has a very full line of SUVs, and two door vehicles don't sell very well. Where would it fit in?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Accidentally quoted my last post instead of editing the grammar mistake.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

blt2ski
I should believe American press because why?!?!?!
Not sure any of the stations have told the real truth in a couple of decades or more.
Then there was the, GM was going to have a V8 cat motor in 2001+ model year pickups....we all know what motor is in GM pickups do we not?

I'll see it when I believe it!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
I'd seen these rumors, but without any confirmation or test mules spotted...it's just rumor to me. Seems like We've heard "the Bronco returns!" at least annually for the last 5 or 6 years.

I'm guessing Ford has been keeping an eye on the success of GM's compact trucks, and the case for bringing back the Ranger will be easier if it's based on an existing platform, which really could only be the global ranger for a BOF.

Yeah, I don't know how many times I have heard that the Bronco was coming back. Seems like that rumor pops up every now and then, but in the end they were all just rumors.

I know one thing is for sure. If Ford does bring back the Ranger then they will definitely have to modify it for the US market. One being the frame to accommodate the LWB trucks that are popular here in these small trucks. GM had to do the same when they brought the Holden Colorado here since they don't offer a LWB globally.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS