cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback on the Fun Finder Rvs

bruce_and_tanya
Explorer
Explorer
Well I posted last week on a new lightweight camper for my Toyota Tacoma that can pull 6500# We just put a down payment on a Fun Finder 266KIRB. It weighs in at 5505# We love the layout, but don't know much about the company itself. Just looking to see if anyone has had any experience with this company.
20 REPLIES 20

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
A little followup, and as a comparison, I pull my FF 189 FDS with a Frontier. As you probably know a Frontier is very similar to a Tacoma. My FF weighs 3950 or so pounds on the CAT scale. The Frontier pulls it nicely, and I am happy with the rigging using a BlueOx swaypro. I also sometimes tow my two horse trailer, which weighs about 4600 pounds loaded, with this truck. My opinion is, that is about the max for this Frontier. My Nissan is a V6, crewcab, six speed manual, 4WD.

If you have not already done so, you might consider some heavy duty shocks for the back of the truck as well.

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer told you whatever it took to make the sell. I suggest your next trip should be to your Toyota dealer to get a Tundra. I like having too much truck.
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
bruce and tanya wrote:
They told me I should be fine.. I hope that wasn't just to sell it. I am now pulling a Dutchmen 275 BH that weighs 4600# and I don't have any trouble. We only really go about 3-4 hours from house. What is the warranty like? forgot to ask about that.

That funfinder is going to weigh about 5800 ready to camp. For stable towing, these kinds of trailers need somewhere around 12 to 13% tongue weight, which comes out to around 725 pounds. That coupled with whatever else you have that adds to payload, is likely going to put you over the rear axle payload of a Tacoma.

Truck manufacturers state "towing capacity in pounds" pretty much based on the idea of pulling a boat, which typically can be set up with 8% or so tongue weight.

The real bottom line is whether or not a person wants to stay within stated weight limits. Many folks on this and other forums believe that manufacturer stated limits are nothing more than "guidelines" or "suggestions". Others feel that there are very real reasons why these various limits are stated, and that a wise setup keeps all the measured parameters within spec. Your choice. A trip to the CAT scale will give you the numbers you may or may not want to see.

As for dealing with any warranty issues with funfinder, I have no input on that. I bought my trailer two years ago from a dealer 600 miles from home. I had no issues that needed to be dealt with under warranty, and even if I would have, I likely would have just fixed it myself. I like to tinker and fix/improve things, so working on this camper is entertainment for me.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a FunFinder 210WBS. We've used it now three seasons and have never had any serious problem with it. From our experience I'd say it is a good quality trailer. I believe the company is small and family-owned. They seem to have a good reputation.

I agree with gmw photos. I think it will be areal challange towing with a Tacoma. As it turns out I had my mind set on a Tacoma when I bought our FunFinder but I was persuaded to get the Tundra instead. I finally got everything weighed at a CAT scale on our last trip. All the numbers were fine but I was a lot closer on payload capacity than I ever expected. Personally I think the "towing capacity" spec is the least important number. I think that number is based on a naked truck with a very skinny driver and a fuel tank near empty - not a realistic scenario.

bruce_and_tanya
Explorer
Explorer
They told me I should be fine.. I hope that wasn't just to sell it. I am now pulling a Dutchmen 275 BH that weighs 4600# and I don't have any trouble. We only really go about 3-4 hours from house. What is the warranty like? forgot to ask about that.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
bruce and tanya wrote:
Well I posted last week on a new lightweight camper for my Toyota Tacoma that can pull 6500# We just put a down payment on a Fun Finder 266KIRB. It weighs in at 5505# We love the layout, but don't know much about the company itself. Just looking to see if anyone has had any experience with this company.

I'm sitting in my funfinder 189FDS as I type this. I'm in Colorado, having just sat thru this weeks stroms, and I will say I still really enjoy this trailer, and have good luck with it.

The trailer you chose is going to be a real challenge for a Tacoma. I hope you don't mind being overweight on the rear axle payload, because you are almost certain to be.

Good luck with it all. Nice trailer. Nice truck. But possibly not a nice match.