cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford F-150 what do I need for towing?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I thinking of downsizing from a 38 ft Diesel Pusher to a smaller travel trailer. I have a driveway that is 25 feet deep. I'm thinking a TT around 23-25 feet. (I have to currently store my motor home at a lot. One reason I'm thinking of downsizing. Just me and my border collie travel 95% of the time anyway.
I won't be buying a new truck, thinking of something around the 2015-2018 year models. I also don't want/need 4 wheel drive. So what should I be looking for as far as towing capacity and set up? Should I be looking at a certain size engine/ transmission, are there certain tow packages? I'm just trying to learn this stuff. Been camping for years, just has always been in a motor home. Thanks for your help.
20 REPLIES 20

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
find the TT that you want/need. size truck to fit.
bumpy

Ditto.

Pick the cart then get the horse to match what it weighs.
Bob

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

This first.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
my 2016 f150 s'crew xlt with 5.0 handles my 23 footer like a champ with a reese wd hitch and a friction sway bar im comfortable. My truck will have less capacity with the super crew back seat and the 4x4 than what your looking at. stay 2015 or newer if you want the aluminum body. the 10 speed came in 2017 (I have a 6 speed which works fine) I also have a 331 rear end for fuel mileage. going to a 355 would get you a bit more grunt.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, look at the payload capacity of the particular truck being considered. Generally, the higher trim levels with all the options have the lowest payload.

I tow a similarly sized tt with a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 eb andd max tow package and it pulls, and stops, great.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Look at all the ratings.

1/2 ton trucks can vary wildly in terms of capabilities.

Some of the light duty 1/2 ton pickups run out of payload (to hold up the hitch) before they run out of tow ratings.

Realistically most 1/2 tons will be fine with such a small trailer but avoid the really low capacity ones.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV