cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Water Tank Location

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Coachmen 283 RKS and the underneath is sealed so I have no idea where the exact location of the fresh water tank is. Now, the fill up and low point drain are right in line with each other pretty much as far back on the right side as you can go.

I don't like assuming, but logically it would make sense that's where it is. Anyway to determine the exact location? I'd really like to know before I go adding 380 lbs of water to my load.
7 REPLIES 7

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
If your valves aren't labeled, open what you think is the drain, and add some water.
Low point drains aren't meant to drain the fresh water tank.

I'll have to look again. I just remember the one time I planned to fill the tank the water was pouring out immediately. Turns out either the dealer or factory left the drain plug in with the water heater instead of on the line.

Oh, the low point drains are for winterizing?

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If your valves aren't labeled, open what you think is the drain, and add some water.
Low point drains aren't meant to drain the fresh water tank.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
If you have a gravity fill port, you can be sure your tank is right next to that. Because if it weren't, the fill port would not work.

What I have done on my trailers is to cut a 3 sided flap into the corroplast, making a sort of trap door. It's nice to be able to take a look at your FW tank now and then. To get a better idea of water level than the gauge provides, for example.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
donnieR32 wrote:
I don't like assuming ...

Then why bother asking here on the forum and getting responses from those who don't know any better than you do? Ask your selling dealer to ask Coachmen tech service for the correct answer. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I agree, I would expect the drain valve to be connected to the bottom of the tank.
It is handy to know its location.

It is a moot point though, as you are not going to change it.

It is where the manufacturer put it and I do not think they intend for you to only use a portion of it.

Good point, I assume they built it that way for a reason. So, with that being said, will I need to be concerned with adding similar weight closer to the hitch to regain balance? So far, I haven't had any issues with trailering; I thought the rear kitchen would be a pain to deal with, but all in all every trip has been smooth sailing.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree, I would expect the drain valve to be connected to the bottom of the tank.
It is handy to know its location.

It is a moot point though, as you are not going to change it.

It is where the manufacturer put it and I do not think they intend for you to only use a portion of it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
In most cases the fresh water drain hose will be directly below the tank. It would be reasonable to assume the location you mentioned.

If you wanted to know bad enough, you could loosen a spot on the under cover to peek in. You may be able to get that info by calling the trailer manufacturer.

Jerry